Sunsynk 5kva hybrid and prepaid meters

Gareth_ZA

I have the following setup... 

2x sunsynk 5.5k hybrid inverters in parallel, 

5x 450w panels in series going to each inverter 

2x 3.6kwh Pylontech Us3000c batteries 

The inverter has been setup on a solar load and battery charge during the day, and battery consumption with grid during the night, set on the time schedule. 

I am in Westville (Durban) with a Landis+Gyr prepaid meter, drawing min 20w, the prepaid meter does not trip. All seems ok in that regard. No error mesages either. 

However I am noticing that I am still consuming 7kwh of prepaid power per 24 hours, 2.4kwh to assist the inverters at night and then about 4.6kwh which is being taken by my heavy load circuit (not on the inverter).

2.4kwh inverter support seems reasonable, but the latter does not as my geyser is only on for 1 hour each day at 1 to 2pm when I have 1.5kwh surplus solar energy. 

My question: Can grid feed power be perceived as ESKOM POWER by a prepaid meter and consume my prepaid tokens? 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Gareth_ZA

3 hours ago, Gareth_ZA said:

I have the following setup... 

2x sunsynk 5.5k hybrid inverters in parallel, 

5x 450w panels in series going to each inverter 

2x 3.6kwh Pylontech Us3000c batteries 

The inverter has been setup on a solar load and battery charge during the day, and battery consumption with grid during the night, set on the time schedule. 

I am in Westville (Durban) with a Landis+Gyr prepaid meter, drawing min 20w, the prepaid meter does not trip. All seems ok in that regard. No error mesages either. 

However I am noticing that I am still consuming 7kwh of prepaid power per 24 hours, 2.4kwh to assist the inverters at night and then about 4.6kwh which is being taken by my heavy load circuit (not on the inverter).

2.4kwh inverter support seems reasonable, but the latter does not as my geyser is only on for 1 hour each day at 1 to 2pm when I have 1.5kwh surplus solar energy. 

My question: Can grid feed power be perceived as ESKOM POWER by a prepaid meter and consume my prepaid tokens? 

Thanks in advance 

Hi Gareth. 

It’s possible that some prepaid meters use up credits when you feed back into the grid. 

Are you exporting?

Yes, yesterday I exported about 1 kwh back to the grid, yet my geyser should have taken that energy as it was on during that time.

On Sunsynk I believe this is referred to as FEED IN production in the data / charts. 

I'm going to test this today by turning off my geyser, stove and aircons at the board, and monitor the prepaid meter whilst my excess solar energy is exported to the grid. 

Edited by Gareth_ZA

2 hours ago, Gareth_ZA said:

Yes, yesterday I exported about 1 kwh back to the grid, yet my geyser should have taken that energy as it was on during that time.

On Sunsynk I believe this is referred to as FEED IN production in the data / charts. 

I'm going to test this today by turning off my geyser, stove and aircons at the board, and monitor the prepaid meter whilst my excess solar energy is exported to the grid. 

For your geyser to use that energy, you don’t need to export, you can select zero export and the current will not flow through the CT. Your CT must just be placed in the correct position. 

Feed in is correct. It’s the Feed In to the grid which is beyond the CT. It’s not what is being used by your geyser etc. 

41 minutes ago, Leshen said:

For your geyser to use that energy, you don’t need to export, you can select zero export and the current will not flow through the CT. Your CT must just be placed in the correct position. 

Hi Leshen

So here is a basic explanation of my circuits...

a) Inverter supplied ("UPS") = all plugs and light fittings
b) Eskom supplied ("GRID") = stove/oven , 2x aircons, 1x geyser

As for the CT coil, I presume it is fitted correctly on the inverter cable as the inverter knows when to draw additional energy to support the loads on part (a) above. The installation was not done by myself. (I've just watched this video to gain some understanding on this --- https://www.sunsynk.org/post/using-a-ct-coil )

So if I understand you correctly, if I choose ZERO EXPORT, then the surplus solar energy can still flow back to the GEYSER ?

Please find 3 photos attached showing the configuration of my system (master unit) as of 07h45 today 8th July 2021, suns hardly up so not much solar input.
- Overview
- Timer
- Prepaid meter

Please also find 3 screeshots from the Sunsyk manual

-> QUESTION : Do I understand point (1) correctly (in my Sunsynk manual screenshot), that if I want to export surplus power to the grid (ie. my geyser) then I should not tick this top box ?

Thanks in advance for the advice

prepaid meter.png

timing_manual_1.png

timing_manual_2.png

timing_manual_3.png

sunsynk-flow chart.png

sunsynk-system mode schedule.png

Edited by Gareth_ZA

28 minutes ago, Bernardf said:

You need to untick 'sol exp bat full'.

I will try this today (with my geyser load on) and take note of the prepaid meter, to confirm that the inverter is contributing power to run the geyser.

I will report back with the results,

Thanks for the advice.

5 hours ago, Bernardf said:

You need to untick 'sol exp bat full'.  Then your system should feed the items before your inverter (stove, a/c, geyser) but not export to the grid.

Hi Bernardf

I tried this and now the inverter does not export anything to the grid. So it is only powering the circuits which are connected it to it
ref a) Inverter supplied ("UPS") = all plugs and light fittings

I conducted a test, where I observed and recorded the prepaid meter, when the 100% of solar energy was being exported,
 which proved that my prepaid meter was charging me when energy was being exported to the grid, regardless of whether anything was drawing a load, ref b) Eskom supplied ("GRID") = stove/oven , 2x aircons, 1x geyser

I am going to try reperform the test with the Prepaid customer interface unit is not plugged in. 
I am not expecting a different result, as the street side unit should be what is detecting and tracking perceived consumption.

For now I have unticked SOLAR EXP BAT FULL, whilst having ZERO EXPORT enabled.
My prepaid meter is back under control and I am not being charged for exporting my surplus energy.
A big letdown considering this was why I went for a hybrid setup.

29 minutes ago, Gareth_ZA said:

Hi Bernardf

I tried this and now the inverter does not export anything to the grid. So it is only powering the circuits which are connected it to it
ref a) Inverter supplied ("UPS") = all plugs and light fittings

I conducted a test, where I observed and recorded the prepaid meter, when the 100% of solar energy was being exported,
 which proved that my prepaid meter was charging me when energy was being exported to the grid, regardless of whether anything was drawing a load, ref b) Eskom supplied ("GRID") = stove/oven , 2x aircons, 1x geyser

I am going to try reperform the test with the Prepaid customer interface unit is not plugged in. 
I am not expecting a different result, as the street side unit should be what is detecting and tracking perceived consumption.

For now I have unticked SOLAR EXP BAT FULL, whilst having ZERO EXPORT enabled.
My prepaid meter is back under control and I am not being charged for exporting my surplus energy.
A big letdown considering this was why I went for a hybrid setup.

Can you post a pic of your flow screen? 

The CT could be incorrectly installed (wires swapped or in the incorrect location). Both of these are the most common mistakes when installing the CT coil or simply not installed at all. 

Also make sure that you have requested the lasted firmware upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, Achmat said:

Can you post a pic of your flow screen? 

The CT could be incorrectly installed (wires swapped or in the incorrect location). Both of these are the most common mistakes when installing the CT coil or simply not installed at all. 

Also make sure that you have requested the lasted firmware upgrade. 

Hi Achmat

Regarding CT,
- I think the CT is installed correctly because it is detecting the correct flow of power to the grid, when I was allowing the inverters to export.

Regarding firmware,
- If I request the upgrade, would I have to reconfigure everything from scratch?

Now I have the following configuration and flow screens:

Flow_inverter_2 (copy).png

master_info (copy).png

maser_timing (copy).png

Flow_inverter_1 (copy).png

1 hour ago, Gareth_ZA said:

Hi Achmat

Regarding CT,
- I think the CT is installed correctly because it is detecting the correct flow of power to the grid, when I was allowing the inverters to export.

Regarding firmware,
- If I request the upgrade, would I have to reconfigure everything from scratch?

Now I have the following configuration and flow screens:

Flow_inverter_2 (copy).png

master_info (copy).png

maser_timing (copy).png

Flow_inverter_1 (copy).png

It looks like it might not be clamped around the correct cable. The numbers don't add up. 

Second pic is from mine. 

A-A (house) should =B

B+C should =D

Screenshot_20210708-162247_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210708-162457_Photos.jpg

Edited by Achmat

Thanks Achmat

I see what you mean about how mine is not adding up. I will contact my installer tomorrow and share this with him. 

So if it added up correctly, then would I be able to use my surplus solar export in my home, before it hits the grid and prepaid meter? 

Cheers

19 minutes ago, Gareth_ZA said:

Thanks Achmat

I see what you mean about how mine is not adding up. I will contact my installer tomorrow and share this with him. 

So if it added up correctly, then would I be able to use my surplus solar export in my home, before it hits the grid and prepaid meter? 

Cheers

Correct 

It needs to be clamped around the live cable directly after the prepaid meter and preferably less than 30m from the inverter. 

15 hours ago, Achmat said:

One more thing. Settings don't change after firmware is updated. 

It does disconnect the loads for a couple of minutes while it's doing the upgrade but restarts on its own. 

What is the meaning of the LIMIT TO LOAD tick box underneath the ZERO EXPORT menu?
Am I correct to assume that this exports power based on the LOAD on the GRID circuit?

Thanks for additional info.

28 minutes ago, Gareth_ZA said:

What is the meaning of the LIMIT TO LOAD tick box underneath the ZERO EXPORT menu?
Am I correct to assume that this exports power based on the LOAD on the GRID circuit?

... ok so I read the manual and found the answer to this question 😉

image.thumb.png.c109a02ef3a4e054df204dcfa9815f14.pngimage.png.c1658623f29bf56efba61a05cd2928f4.png

5 hours ago, Gareth_ZA said:

Limit to load is the ups loads so only the essential loads. 

Unticked it will then limit to the entire house and loads before the inverter on the grid side. 

5 hours ago, Vince MacMahon said:

😢 why didn’t I get a SunSynk! That UI is what I’m after.

nice setup Achmat, presumably off grid ? 

Gareth, hope you are sorted, couldn’t resist commenting on the SunSynk

Not there yet but about 80% off grid. 

Need more batteries and wind turbine for winter. Cape Town winters are not good for solar generation. 

8 hours ago, Vince MacMahon said:

Gareth, hope you are sorted, couldn’t resist commenting on the SunSynk

Good evening Vince

Not quite there, the export to grid makes my meter still take credits. The technician is gonna have to find a solution next week. 

But at least I've managed to stop it for it now.