Freedom Won balancing ?

NoordSolar

I'm monitoring ( on line via the Victron VRM portal ) a friends Freedom Won / Quattro / Victron MPPT  installation and am noticing how the Freedom Wons cells are getting more and more unbalanced. At 100% full charge the max cell voltage is 3.77V with a cell max- min difference of 0.41V - Average was 3.40V . At the bottom end at 10% SOC ( only ever been below 40% once in the last 2 years due to loadshedding ) min cell voltage was 2.56V and cell max-min was 0.66V - avg was 3.16V. Is there a utility to manually initialise a cell balance routine ?  How are you supposed to rebalance the Freedom Won if the internal balancer is loosing control?

Hi NoordSolar, I have no idea what chemistry they use but if LiFePO4 this battery pack will be toast in a short space of time.

It could develop into a fire🔥 risk if those cells are constantly above 3.65V for long periods of time. The cells can go into thermal runaway & break down & reverse polarity & then you have a very big problem on your hands. Freedom won, I am led to be believe have good batteries & good warranty & backup. However, you need to intervene to save this battery pack & the person's property from a possible fire.

It's a fire waiting to happen. A BMS is susceptible to failure or malfunction as is any piece of tech kit. 

You are just lucky that the BMS data is networked & available to you. I believe that this must be standard in any Lithium battery pack. The data & monitoring thereof is of utmost importance. These batteries are energy dense & do have the energy potential to burn your house to the ground. 

Will be interesting to see what Freedom won do to remedy the situation...

13 minutes ago, Bernardf said:

I have a Freedom Won battery with my Sunsynk inverter. Can someone tell me how I can get the cell level data to monitor it?

With the Victron the data is available on their portal.  Does Sunsynk not have a portal also?

6 minutes ago, NoordSolar said:

With the Victron the data is available on their portal.  Does Sunsynk not have a portal also?

No on the Solarman portal you can only see stuff like battery voltage, temperature and SoC. Not info on the individual cells. Is there PC software with which I can view the info via the battery's USB port?

Hi guys ,i am busy building a lithuim battery. My system consists of Victron inverters and Victron charge controllers. I need a BMS that can comunicate with the Venus. Can anybody assist ?

Why don't you use a Smart Daly BMS & use a Victron BMV or even a Smart shunt to worry about Comms & State of Charge. The Smart Daly BMS will match the Shunts Coulomb counting but to be honest you can use any BMS but because your system is Victron based a Shunt or BMV hooked up via a VE Direct to USB can provide all the Comms you are looking for. I run all of my battery builds in this way & actually I now have support for the UART cable direct from the BMS feeding into my Raspberry Pi. My system is not Victron based but I used to make use of the smart shunt for this exact reason it's give good Comms when cabled up. Your system sounds interesting what total battery bank size are you building?

Much less mess to build individual 16s batteries. Then parallel these units at the end after all the packs are built. That way you have cell voltage regulation & can keep an eye individually on each cell. Otherwise if you choose the other way of parallel cells then series them you won't have individual voltages on these. Sure it will cost you more on BMSs but you will have piece of mind.

If you want a big battery capacity it's better to have bigger cells & work from then on because once these cells go out of balance & yes they will eventually drift out of balance you will have a needle in a haystack to try to resolve this. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021/07/13 at 9:45 PM, Bernardf said:

No on the Solarman portal you can only see stuff like battery voltage, temperature and SoC. Not info on the individual cells. Is there PC software with which I can view the info via the battery's USB port?

Did you come right?

I'm looking as a similar install to yours, and this "unbalanced" cell issue has me a bit worried

Looks at the VRM data the freedom won system is still horribly unbalanced. Apparently installer and Freedom have been looking at the system remotely but I cannot get any sense from the owners of the system what they are saying / doing.  For me I would not buy Freedom Won -  their charging algorithms are very aggressive and don't seem to pull back when cells go out of balance .   rather go with  SolarMD.  Full cell visibility is also available with SolarMD via their communicator device and their portal

14 minutes ago, bobmabena said:

Did you come right?

I'm looking as a similar install to yours, and this "unbalanced" cell issue has me a bit worried

No I haven't. I am going to e-mail Freedom Won directly and ask them.

• 2 weeks later...