Growatt SPF5000ES

Mam

Hi All,

Growatt spf5000es, max pv 6000W.

Can I overload it, I have 12 panels of 540W. Can I install all of them on this inverter? The total power in ideal case would be 540×12 = 6480W

Many thanks! 

I would get the deye/fusion 5kw rather or 2 less panels on the growatt. The deye would use all 12 with 6 per mppt.

12 would work on the growatt with 6s2p strings but you would be wasting the 12th panel.

Screenshot_20210718-111735_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Buyeye

The Growatt will still use all 12, it will just clip at 5.5kW in the middle of the day. In the mornings and evenings, if it's overcast, if your panels are not angled optimally or if they're in a E/W configuration the sixth panel will still add to your usable power. Wouldn't get a whole new inverter for that theoretic 1kW extra you maaay get in optimal conditions.

Edited by gooseberry

So many issues there Goose.

1. East west strings are a terrible idea on an inverter with a single mppt. 

2. Those 500 watt panels are very expensive, he could just get cheaper ones and save a bundle to use with his budget inverter.

3. The imp current is 13 amps while the growatt is rated at 18 amps two strings will push you all the way to 26 amps.

I was trying to find an appropriate analogy, it's like putting 20inch rims on a citi golf.

It might work but it makes no sense.

On 2021/07/17 at 10:22 PM, Mam said:

Hi All,

Growatt spf5000es, max pv 6000W.

Can I overload it, I have 12 panels of 540W. Can I install all of them on this inverter? The total power in ideal case would be 540×12 = 6480W

Many thanks! 

Yes you can install all 12 and you will not overload the inverter. You will never get the ideal power of 6480W from those panels, that is why it is always best to over size your system. I wouldn't worry 480W, it will come handy 

4 hours ago, Buyeye said:

So many issues there Goose.

1. East west strings are a terrible idea on an inverter with a single mppt. 

2. Those 500 watt panels are very expensive, he could just get cheaper ones and save a bundle to use with his budget inverter.

3. The imp current is 13 amps while the growatt is rated at 18 amps two strings will push you all the way to 26 amps.

I was trying to find an appropriate analogy, it's like putting 20inch rims on a citi golf.

It might work but it makes no sense.

My bad, thought the Growatt had 2 MPPTs. If Imp is 13A it's probably better to go for the 8kW rather than the 5kW Deye.

Although E/W on a single MPPT is not unheard of, and if replacing the inverter is not a possibility, may even be the optimum solution. https://www.energymatters.com.au/images/news/2013/east-west-solar-paper.pdf

Edited by gooseberry

5 minutes ago, Buyeye said:

@gooseberry Thanks for the article, it was done under ideal conditions and has requirements that most people would not be able to achieve like this screen shot.

Screenshot_20210720-093712_Drive.thumb.jpg.f14ac67eae5a3f255fe719467509a4e4.jpg

Sure, but many people will meet those. OP's setup fits the first two and many people have sloped roofs that are symmetrical. If you have a flat roof you can use stands to angle them however you wish.