Geyserwise - Yes or No

Hi Everyone, 

I am very new to all things Solar and alternative energy solutions. I have been doing allot of reading and kind of know what I want to install as a phase 1:

5KW Hybrid Inverter

10 x Canadian Solar Panels

1 x Hubble AM-2

Currently I have one 200l Heat Tech Geyser, Gas Oven and Stove Top. 

What I am unsure off is whether the Geyserwise system is worth the +- R20k or would it be better to spend this money on another Hubble AM-2?

Looking forward to some of your opinions.

Regards,

Jaco

You aren't really comparing apples with apples. 

Assuming you're talking about the geyserwise pv kit, this will generate more power to heat your water. Your listed alternative is another battery, which is storage.

If your objective is to save more, get a water heater. If it is to run your house off battery for longer, get a battery. It's not worth it to heat water from a battery. 

Personally, I'd add more panels and heat your current geyser through your new system. 

You can also change the heating element of your geyser and use the Geyserwise PTC one, works like a charm. I went for the 1.5kw one for my 150L geyser. No need to install the complete Geyserwise system, you already have a solar system and you can use the existing thermostat with the PTC element. Paid R2200 for the heat tech geyser flange, thermostat tube and PTC element 

8 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

You can also change the heating element of your geyser and use the Geyserwise PTC one, works like a charm. I went for the 1.5kw one for my 150L geyser. No need to install the complete Geyserwise system, you already have a solar system and you can use the existing thermostat with the PTC element. Paid R2200 for the heat tech geyser flange, thermostat tube and PTC element 

Where did you get the stuff from ? 

2 hours ago, GreenMan said:

Where did you get the stuff from ? 

Got it direct from Geyserwise in Centurion, Unit 9, 183 Edison Cres, Hennopspark. The guys there are very help full with information, wasn't sure if I could use my old thermostat and they were happy to show me how I could use it and even provided me with special jumper cables to hook up the thermostat to the element. 😀

You should also check the prices on www.ecodepot.co.za.  I got my Geyserwise TSE controller there for slightly cheaper than the price at the Geyserwise offices in Centurion.

19 hours ago, Tariq said:

@hoohloc, how does the pic element work or what is the benefit 

Copied this straight from Geyserwise website

Heating elements made with PTC chips do not use resistance wire as a source of heat. Instead, it uses a number of ceramic PTC chips as the heating source. PTC heating elements are ceramic chips that have self-limiting temperature characteristics. As the PTC chips heat up it reaches a designed temperature at which the heat output decreases drastically and prohibits it from getting hotter. As ambient temperature increases and less heat is dissipated, the resistance of the element will increase culminating in a near zero current draw at its designated temperature.

The dynamic resistance and output of PTC heaters makes them an excellent choice for providing controlled electric heating. In many applications it is
possible to do away entirely with thermostatic controls. Simplification of design and reduced energy consumption represent significant cost savings
for a given application. The removal of failure prone components such as thermostats can also add significantly to the reliability of a product. Safety
is an added benefit, since no matter how much current is applied to the PTC; it will never surpass its intended surface temperature.

16 hours ago, Tariq said:

Meant the ptc element

The real benefit is that, with a 1.5Kw, I can have my geyser ON the whole day and only switch it off at sun set. The old element that came out of my geyser has some dirt build up and I suspect that I was consuming a lot of power to heat my water because of all that crap. Only had this installed for few days and the wife hasn't complained about not Having hot water 😂