DIY Off-grid system. To Sunsynk, or not?

Jakes

I'm planning an off-grid system at a facility of us in Gauteng.

I have installed a couple of systems over the years, but it is not my job.

The plan is to use an 8Kw Sunsynk inverter for the system.

I recently started doing some research on the inverter because they are relatively new to our market. I watched a video where the manufacturer communicates how eager he is to help guys from our country. I was impressed.

I also watched a video where, what seems like the local importer, communicates that he only supports installers. That excludes me, and a lot of guys on the forum who installed Sunsynk product themselves.

Are you guys comfortable being excluded from support by the importer?

Please share your experience, as I really like what I read about the brand.

Hi B

Yes, off-grid, as in no eskom.

Will you be happy with an Axpert Max in an off-grid system? Reliability, endurance, back-up/support and so on?

I am thinking 8kW inverter, 8kW panels and 10kW storage. Which components will you use for the system?

Thanks for the help.

J.

Yes with no Eskom I would be very happy with an axpert max 8kw. Voltronics axperts are tried and tested and I'm hoping for @Coulomb and @87 Dream to come with their wisdom.

Everything ofcource depends on budget. If I was building a eskom free system I would buy:

1. Axpert max 8kw +- R16k

2. 20kw lithium storage in any one of these flavors freedomwon(+-R120k) dyness(+-(R110k) pylontech (+-R110k).

Hi again Jakes & co. The Sunsynk is a great machine, it has some very clever kit and it's architecture is a lot more based on a Grid tied system. This is the reason that the CT Coil is of so much importance to the system technically. However, the cost of this machine in the range of anywhere between R32k to R40K depending on whom you purchase from.

The same powered spec 8kW Axpert at +-R20k maximum again depending on where you purchase. The Axpert is more that happy to have no Grid interaction and was designed as such. It has 2 MPPT inputs which can handle 4000W each. It's a true Hybrid also and in its modes blends power accordingly from available sources. The best trick of all is that it can work without a battery. You may ask why is that important in an off-grid setup???

Because at some stage especially without the Grid as a backup, you will have a depleted battery bank by the morning. The Axpert will happily work with just the power generated by the Solar Panels & then can charge the battery bank. 

I am no Sunsynk Fundi but what I can say is that I know that the Sunsynks require a battery to work. I am also no financial Fundi but I know that at +-50% less cost of acquisition on the Voltronics it does make a lot of cents so to speak. That extra loot can definitely be invested into your panels or your battery bank.

Good campaigning & good  marketing has made the Sunsynk a bit of the said new toy to get. But ask yourself this question: Does it do what I need it to do under my requirements & budget? 

I do not want to trash the Sunsynk at all & I believe it's a very capable machine but you need to know the alternative also.

Jake's this is the best way you are going about it. Make the best informed decision.

52 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

I am no Sunsynk Fundi but what I can say is that I know that the Sunsynks require a battery to work. 

Let's not start spreading false information on the forum. SunSynk CAN work without battery. There is a video from Keith on YouTube, which explains that configuration.

5 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

Since you mentioned it to be false & as I said before I am not a fundi. Could you provide the necessary link or at least explain how it works to further enlighten all of us...

Here you go 87:

Thank you Poweruser...My thoughts on the Sunsynk were not in error. Jake's project will not have Grid or Eskom available so in this context the Sunsynk cannot function without a battery. Thank you for the link & for the clarification. This is again where the Axpert can run without a battery with or without Grid power.

As I said before the Sunsynk is made on a Grid tied architecture. Hence the reason the CT Coil is present & a vital part of its equipment.

Edited by 87 Dream
Added content

Yes 87, I was just correcting a blanket statement "SunSink can not run without battery", for the same of not spreading false information on the forum. Someone new can come across this thread and just read that statement without understanding the context.

But in this case, for off-grid system, I fully agree with you. SunSynk is not the best option for such scenario and I wouldn't use it myself either, if I was planning to go completely off-grid.

Edited by PowerUser

Absolutely no harm done Poweruser, I apologize if my statement came across as such. It was not my intention to lead any forum member astray. I will mention this again, both of these are great inverters but their use, application & pricing vary quite a bit.

It's about carefully considering what best suites the application & the details like grid available or not in the end make up the final pieces of the puzzle in the decision making process.

Hello 87dream

Im new to this forum and not sure of what the “making contact” rules are?

I have read a few of your threads and would like to make contact for purposes of a quaote for a system installation. Can you or are you allowed send me your contact details?

Kind regards

This forum has been a great source of information for me over years. For that reason I greatly appreciate the inputs of members like 87 Dream and Buyeye. I (we all) have little to gain from brand bashing or guys who are sensitive about certain products causing them not to see the shortcomings.

As an example: I spoke to 2 suppliers about Axpert (one is not an "anti-Axpert" guy, the other is very much a "pro-Victron" and "pro-Sunsynk" guy). One says that he has been installing Axpert for 8 years. Only one problematic site. It was later found that the electrician wiring an extension to the building made a mistake with the wiring - not the inverter's fault. The other guy says that the longest he has ever seen an Axpert last is 18 months. He guarantees me that if I connect solar panels to that machine, it will pack up within the first 3 days. He regards their average lifetime as a couple of months (as long as you don't connect solar panels to it).

Should one consider Axpert, the calculations make for interesting reading (this is based on quotations I received). For the price of Victron equipment that will provide 6.5kW of power, you can buy 4 Axperts providing 8kW. I fully realize that this is not comparing apples with apples, but if we decide to compare rands with rands, we can buy 4 Axperts, install 1, (through it away after a couple of months, according to my supplier above), and have 3 paid for inverters on the shelf to install. Should 3 Axperts outlast 1 Victron, it made some financial sense.

Are there more suggestions for an inverter?

(I am slightly concerned about the abundance of reading material, also on this site, where Axpert problems need to be addressed with updated software. There's a lot written about Sunsynks needing updates as well, btw. My perception is that a quality product comes sorted from it's mother, gets installed, and works).

Thanks again for all the good inputs.

Jake's, your way of thinking is extremely sound. Keep batting on in this way & you will find the best solution for yourself. I have a MKSll running battery-less in my personal home running for the last 4 years without a challenge. When I first installed it in my home this was my reason to choose the Axpert. I was like it will be a trial buy & if it fails then quite honestly I have paid my school fees. 

It's heart is still beating. Since then a a great hand full of different Axpert models installed & more recently the Max installed in Parallel with 28 X 410W Trina Solar panels feeding an East/West Array for a customer: It's been close to 8months & the system has produced 1 Megawatt of energy & yes it's still happily producing energy.