Recommendation on 8kW inverter

Vijen

Good day

What would you guys consider to be the best value for money on inverters around 8kW. I currently have an old Mecer (the 4000W version) and am considering expanding the system. I need to be able to handle a larger load and more solar than 3000W. Current solar capacity is 300W and batteries in use currently are the 2x Pylontech 4.8kWh - these are new and I would probably have to add another one.

Regards, Vijen

Did some more reading on the options. Sunsynk appears to be better of the 2 as far as extended functionality but cost double the price - R35K vs R16k for Mecer.

I have had my Mecer for 5 years without major issue, the biggest concern however was its inability to manage the batteries without ICC software. Can someone with the newer 8kW Mecer please comment on :-

(i) battery management side (especially when you have a bank of expensive Pylontech batteries),

(ii) the ability to communicate information over a network for monitoring and programming, and 

(iii) neutral grounding when mains is not present.

Regards, Vijen

Apologies 87, I saw your post after I reposted. Does the 8kW units have better battery management or is external assistance still required? I use ICC running on Pi and VNC to monitor and program system when required with a cable to Pylontech batteries - is this still needed?

59 minutes ago, Vijen said:

Hi 87. Please have a look at the attached link to GC Solar. Is this the 8kW version?

https://onlineshop.gcsolar.co.za/product/mecer-axpert-8k-8kva-8kw-hybrid-pure-sine-wave-inverter/ 

24 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

Hi Vijen, lots of tell tale signs this website might not be so legit. The pic is not that of a Axpert Max in fact it's a pic of the 5kW system more like the MKSll.

Be very careful where you buy your Max from otherwise you might end up with not what you expect. 

I can advise you on possible online vendors. In fact the Powerstore is great place. The Kodak Max is also exactly the same machine which is Available on the Powerstore. Much more trusted source of equipment.

This site is legitimate. I have personally been to their shop in Centurion. If you don’t want to order online, just go to the shop in person. Search for GCSolar on Google maps and it will show you the location. 

But anyway, the site shows - No stock at the moment 

Edited by PowerUser

7 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

Great PowerUser, @Vijenat least someone can vouch for them. I would still be very cautious as at R14K something sounds too good to be true.

👏👏👏

If you check, the price is excl. VAT. That’s why it sounds cheap. 

Edited by PowerUser

Hello all

I also need to decide between the Axpert max and Sunsync. I had an interesting discussion with a seemingly knowledgeable reseller today. My understanding is that the Axpert does not “blend” power. It switches between grid and Solar/battery. When the total kW drawn exceeds the kW available from the PV/battery units it will switch and draw all of its power from die grid for that time being. Is that correct?

4 hours ago, PVinterest said:

Hello all

I also need to decide between the Axpert max and Sunsync. I had an interesting discussion with a seemingly knowledgeable reseller today. My understanding is that the Axpert does not “blend” power. It switches between grid and Solar/battery. When the total kW drawn exceeds the kW available from the PV/battery units it will switch and draw all of its power from die grid for that time being. Is that correct?

That is not correct, it is an axpert hybrid it can blend grid and pv.

The newer smart parity inverters have time of use settings which almost need no intervention from you. Axpert hybrids are more basic if I can call it that in that you need to intervene by changing the settings yourself or get ICC like @87 Dream always says. Anyway here is a screenshot of mine with the first half of the day on SUB mode I then changed to battery first when all heavy loads were finished and batteries were full. I then changed to utility when the geyser came on at night and back to battery first when the geyser went off. All of this was done manually. 

Screenshot_20210727-032147_ShinePhone.jpg

@Vijen, are you going to be off grid or will you be connected to grid, if you are then you could get away with a 5 kW Sunsynk, I have my db split into essential and non essential and gone up to 7.68 kW loads, utilizing pv and battery

Guest Sarel
On 2021/07/23 at 4:53 PM, 87 Dream said:

Hi Vijen, lots of tell tale signs this website might not be so legit. The pic is not that of a Axpert Max in fact it's a pic of the 5kW system more like the MKSll.

Be very careful where you buy your Max from otherwise you might end up with not what you expect. 

I can advise you on possible online vendors. In fact the Powerstore is great place. The Kodak Max is also exactly the same machine which is Available on the Powerstore. Much more trusted source of equipment.

These guys are legit. Just spent a shed load with them on my BYD batteries. We retuned some incorrectly ordered stuff, also no issues, and got the correct goodies. They have not delivered the wrong stuff, we order incorrectly.

Thank you Buyeye

I have a few more questions if you dont mind?

If I read the graph correctly, around 12:00, your Solar pannels produced approx 4kW and you imported approx 3.6kW from the grid. This means you were consuming a total of 7.6kW at that point in time. Which means the inverter blended solar and Utility power in an almost equal ratio?

Can one set it at Solar first, battery second and Utility last and then ensure that the PV array is large enough that it accounts for all the consumption during the day and keep the batteries full. Im not planning to connect my geyser to the Inverter.

Which inverters fall under the “Newer smart parity inverters”  not needing manual intervention on the time of use settings?

I agree with Buyeye and 87 Dream. My old 5kW Mecer has its limitations but has served me well for 6 years with ICC.

The newer Max seems excellent as far as specs. I would have liked however to be able to run without the Pi and have correct SOC reported. Since the Max communicates directly with the Pylontech (RS232 or 485) I would have thought it would get all the info that the Pi (ICC) currently reads from Pylontech.

2 hours ago, PVinterest said:

Thank you Buyeye

I have a few more questions if you dont mind?

If I read the graph correctly, around 12:00, your Solar pannels produced approx 4kW and you imported approx 3.6kW from the grid. This means you were consuming a total of 7.6kW at that point in time. Which means the inverter blended solar and Utility power in an almost equal ratio?

Can one set it at Solar first, battery second and Utility last and then ensure that the PV array is large enough that it accounts for all the consumption during the day and keep the batteries full. Im not planning to connect my geyser to the Inverter.

Which inverters fall under the “Newer smart parity inverters”  not needing manual intervention on the time of use settings?

You haveto look at this graph with this attachment, the monitoring software isn't great at giving exact numbers.

SBU is the default setting for offgrid inverter. Mine has Solar first(SBU) and Battery first which is still(SBU) with the only difference being that after sunset the inverter will stay on the battery until back to ac setting is reached(setting 12)

If you are not going to connect the geyser than you should ok with a smaller system. 

Smart parity inverters are these https://powerforum-store.co.za/collections/featured-products/products/sunsynk-5kw-1p-hybrid-pv-inverter-48v

Screenshot_20210727-080030_ShinePhone.jpg

Its very simple to get ICC software working on Pi. You either buy the Pi with the software or if you have a Pi at home just buy software and flash SD card for Pi with ICC software image. Power up Pi and connect USB cable from Pi to inverter. Thats it, ICC will run and communicate to inverter.

It gets a bit more messy when you want the correct battery SOC as you would have to connect a 2nd cable to either BMV or directly to Pylontech if thats the battery you are using. I connect directly to my Pylontech batteries with a USB to RS232 cable which then reads proper diagnostics and SOC from battery via the ICC software.