Axpert: what happens if you overload it

JacquesVDM

Hi everyone. I have a 5kw Axpert inverter with 4x Pylontech US3000's  and 4kw of solar panels. The whole house except the stove is running on it.  Running now for more than 2 years without any issues and we stayed below 5kw easily. (Base load is about 500w and thus can run two "big" appliances of 2kw simultaneously. Lately we are using more power with working from home, cold weather, etc. and I have set the inverter to "bypass" on overload, so that in the case of someone switching on a kettle and we do exceed 5kw. I have noticed that when at about 3kw and a fridge starts up, it bypasses to grid. It is annoying and now my question: what would happen if the "bypass on overload" setting is disable and I exceed 5kw? Would it just shut down or will it in any case switch to grid to protect itself. I don't want to test it myself and damage something. Maybe someone have experienced it?

Thanks guys

45 minutes ago, JacquesVDM said:

I have noticed that when at about 3kw and a fridge starts up, it bypasses to grid.

Yes, annoying. And it bypasses for at least 10 minutes. Both are reduced in patched firmware with KettleKomp™, i.e. it's less likely to bypass due to a short term overload, and if it does, it can get back to battery mode in 2 minutes instead of 10. Only Axpert MKS models so far have sufficiently patched firmware for this.

47 minutes ago, JacquesVDM said:

what would happen if the "bypass on overload" setting is disable and I exceed 5kw?

I believe that it would throw fault code 07 (overload timeout). But an overload may be tolerated for longer if bypass is disabled; I haven't checked. This fault code will cut off your loads, so it's a bit brutal.

Thanks Coulomb. Also thinks it would just cut off the load if overloaded without bypass. Another question maybe you can answer: is there a difference in the switchover time the inverter switches between grid and battery with setting 3 (Mode: APL/UPS). I have noticed that when the switchover occurs, I can hear it on the aircon motor. If I recall someone mentioned the switchover time varies with setting 3 - just need to confirm.

15 minutes ago, JacquesVDM said:

is there a difference in the switchover time the inverter switches between grid and battery with setting 3 (Mode: APL/UPS).

Yes. In UPS mode, it uses a special board with TRIACs (from memory) on it to switch over in ~10ms. In APL mode, it doesn't use that hardware at all, and typically switches over in ~20 ms.

I have a suspicion that the relays in Axperts have a hard time, and that the contacts degrade significantly over time. Some of my changeovers sound pretty bad if I happen to be near them at the time. I intend to buy some replacement relays, and take my inverters out of service one at a time to check and if necessary replace the relays. One of my inverters is about 5 years old. The other is a similar age but possibly has had less use (bought second hand). It's possible that your relay contacts are worn as well.