Synapse 3.0V+ 24v 3Kva 2.4Kw Inverter - Firmware

JamesF

Hi All, 

I have recently acquired a Synapse 3.0V+ 24v 3Kva MPPT inverter, using 4xRitar ra12-100 batteries. No PV Yet. (There is no reference anywhere to "pip 2424" but it seems that the main board is the same "Axpert Type" as all the others.

I am looking for the latest firmware that can confirm the fan speed control? I thought the fans were on 24/7, but after some monitoring, I can see that 1 fan spins up at 41deg and keeps going till the internal temp is down to 30deg, then goes off. As the temp crawls back up to 41deg, fans spin back up. So the fans can be off most of the night when its cool, but when the ambi temp of the device comes up, fans are on majority of the time.

My device is pure backup, so there is 0% load when utility power is on - I will then manually swap to batteries when I need to. So load is not an aspect of the temperature.

I am hoping to update the firmware, as maybe there is some updated logic available? Else myself (or someone) can patch it to a higher ambient temp cut on/off.

U1 09 53

U2 03 39

PS - if I have missed any basic setting that I can try to get the fans off during idle - please let me know? 

Thanks, 

18 hours ago, JamesF said:

I am hoping to update the firmware, as maybe there is some updated logic available? Else myself (or someone) can patch it to a higher ambient temp cut on/off.

U1 09 53

U2 03 39

I suspected for a while that the Synapses are clones, and the above strengthens this suspicion. I've never heard of either 09.XX or 03.XX firmware versions. That doesn't mean that they don't exist; I don't tend to follow the 24 V models nearly as much as the 48 V ones.

Patching is not an easy thing, unless you happen to be set up for it. You also need a firmware update file to start patching from, and I don't think you'll be able to find one of those.

You might have to modify your inverter to suit your needs; perhaps a relay that cuts out both fans when it's in bypass mode. Or better yet, make it temperature dependent, and perhaps replace the fans with quieter ones and use a silicone noise reducing kit. It might be as simple as bolting a thermo switch somewhere and wiring it in series with one or both fans somehow.

18 hours ago, JamesF said:

if I have missed any basic setting that I can try to get the fans off during idle...

I'm not aware of any, and I very much doubt that there is one.

Thanks @Coulomb

I have reached out to the supplier too, to see what they can provide me with in terms of firmware.

I am not too stressed about the fans, just my last Inverter was silent on idle, so its a new noise. Like with anything we will get used to it.

I will update this thread if I find / make a solution.

My recently decommissioned Synapse 24V (2019 Model) fans run just about non stop, unless in extreme cold conditions. I lost a set of batteries due to the "early float bug". I unfortunately detected too late.

Hit & miss with the fans and float bug.

254982831_FloatBug.jpeg.6510df04e9b379ddc78b67abc2d5efc0.jpeg

33 minutes ago, abeetude said:

My recently decommissioned Synapse 24V (2019 Model) fans run just about non stop, unless in extreme cold conditions. I lost a set of batteries due to the "early float bug". I unfortunately detected too late.

Hit & miss with the fans and float bug.

254982831_FloatBug.jpeg.6510df04e9b379ddc78b67abc2d5efc0.jpeg

Thanks, can you send me (or show me on the forums) more info on this float bug? I have seen a lot of people reference the issue, but I am still learning on these Axpert type devices.

PS - I still have the trade in return option on the Synapse, and maybe get a Mecer Axpert? (SOL-I-AX-3M-24) Is there more trust with those?

EDIT - PPS - Why did you decom the unit may I ask?

Thanks!

Edited by JamesF

22 hours ago, JamesF said:

Why did you decom the unit may I ask?

The float bug and my lack of attention to the problem cost me a set of batteries. I wasn't prepared to risk another round of 1000's down the drain on Axpert type inverters and AGMs etc. As Coulomb pointed out, there are patched firmware versions for some models (48V) nothing on the 24V.

My need also changed in terms of:

• my backup power requirement increased from 120W in 2015 to 880W currently. Not good for 24V systems
  • have more storage capacity available for loadshedding but also making provision for prolonged power supply interruptions 
  • to generate more on solar 
  • reduce my Eskom bill
  • not to start the generator
  • wanted to explore lithium since I had to buy batteries
23 hours ago, JamesF said:

PS - I still have the trade in return option on the Synapse, and maybe get a Mecer Axpert? (SOL-I-AX-3M-24) Is there more trust with those?

Not sure, maybe the other Axpert users can chime in. The 24V from my experience generally don't have a lot of support or patched firmware.

Misc

After many hours of lurking around the forums I decided to take the plunge and invest into a system that would meet my current and future power requirements with the following equipment:

SunSynk 8KW

2 x Hubble AM2's

12 x 490 W JA Solar panels (Still to be installed)

I am in no way advertising what I bought nor am I advocating that I made the right choice in product, brand or supplier YMMV :) 

Different horse as well is the race.

Steve from the powerforumstore and @Leshen are great guys to talk to for all sorts of advice.

Thank you very much! I will monitor for now, as I do have an understanding of the issue.

I am not using PV yet, so it seems the bug "should not" affect me - but I will continue to monitor charge, bulk, float values.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have received the firmware from the vendor for their 5KW model (mine is the 3KW) of found that it is running the Axpert King 5KW 71.97.

They do not have a firmware for mine, but said that its the "same CPU" (I do not trust that statement at all).. so no win there...

Something else I have not seen anyone comment on (regarding the float bug) is equalization? My unit has a built in equalization (over charge) feature. Is it worth running that every so often, to ensure that the batteries are getting a good bulk up? 

I am running 2s2p RITAR 12v 100ah sealed AGM.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, JamesF said:

So I have received the firmware from the vendor for their 5KW model (mine is the 3KW) of found that it is running the Axpert King 5KW 71.97.

Oh, dear. 🤔

4 hours ago, JamesF said:

They do not have a firmware for mine, but said that its the "same CPU" (I do not trust that statement at all)..

They mostly use the same CPU family, but the smaller models often use a smaller chip (less flash and RAM, same instruction set and peripherals, though sometimes some of the peripherals are cut back too). Some of the really tiny models use an 8-bit processor instead of a Texas Instruments DSP.

The 71.XX version number can refer to Axpert King firmware, but also the Axpert MKS II. How handy is that? But both of those are 5 kVA-only firmwares. The ones that I'm aware of that run on different models (e.g. 1 kVA/3 kVA/5 kVA) start with 15, 02, or 20.

2 hours ago, JamesF said:

Or drop the equalization voltage to the same as bulk voltage (so not really over charge) then run "equalization" after the batteries have been used/drained?

That's one of the work-arounds for the premature float bug.

2 hours ago, JamesF said:

ie - creating a manual charge cycle?

Equalisation can also be set up to run regularly, e.g. every 30 days or 3 days or 2 days, so it doesn't have to be manual. But there is a setting for "equalise now" that can be used as a manual extra charge cycle as well.

• 1 month later...
On 2021/07/26 at 3:51 PM, Coulomb said:

I suspected for a while that the Synapses are clones, and the above strengthens this suspicion

Edit: The factory model for the Synapse 3.0V+ is the Axpert V Value (3000VA/2400W). There are two models, VP 3000 Value (PWM) and VM 3000 Value (MPPT).  The datasheet is attached. 

Axpert_V_Value _DS-1.jpg

Edited by Kilowatt Power

7 hours ago, Kilowatt Power said:

Edit: The factory model for the Synapse 3.0V+ is the Axpert V Value (3000VA/2400W).

Ah. The VM models (apart from the VM III) don't seem to be very popular, so I tend to forget about them. Since I don't have any VM non-III firmware, it's quite possible that the official Voltronic Power firmware for these is version 09.XX.

So that considerably reduces my suspicion that Synapses are clones. It's possible that Synapse branding appears on some Voltronic Power genuine rebranded inverter-chargers, and on some Must inverter-chargers. The latter seem to have started out as Voltronic clones, but seem to have diverged. Most of the Synapses I've come across lately seem to be genuine Voltronic, or very good clones (in the sense of near-perfect copies in appearance, but totally unknown quality).

I was thinking recently how calibration are an area that clones may be very poor at. Genuine Voltronic inverters have fairly accurate voltage and current measurements, which seems to be achieved by correcting measurements with a scale (and sometimes also an offset) value that is stored in EEPROM. Clones may just supply the EEPROM with default values to save the labour of calibration. If so, their measurement accuracy would be much poorer. This may not matter much for a stand-alone inverter (probably the vast majority of cases), but when paralleled, it may cause problems. An example of this might be the recent pair of 7.2 kW Synapse MAXs where the slave was reporting warning code 04 (battery low warning).

Edited by Coulomb

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for the help all!

So I am probably going to change / upgrade to the Axpert Type Mecer unit. Do you think that this is a better choice than the Synapse unit long term?

@Coulomb can you assist with firmware for the Mecer SOL-I-AX-3M-24

Brand Mecer
Reference SOL-I-AX-3M-24

3000va/3000w

24v

600w MPPT solar charge controller.

56 minutes ago, JamesF said:

can you assist with firmware for the Mecer SOL-I-AX-3M-24

Brand Mecer
Reference SOL-I-AX-3M-24

3000va/3000w

Sorry, all my 24 V firmware is quite old; the only PF1 firmware I have is for a tiny 12 V 1000 W model.