Generator compatible with inverter?

Steve7

Goeie dag.

Ek wil n generator koop om my lithium ion battery te laai as daar geen son is nie via my inverter. Ek het n kodak OGX 5.8 . Paar persone my nou al gesê die voltage regulators op van die generators is n probleem en my inverter kan hom dalk nie lees nie en aan en af sit heeltyd? 

Watter maak en hoe groot generator kan ek gebruik om  battery te laai? Help asb?

Groete Steve

On 2021/08/02 at 11:52 AM, Steve7 said:

Goeie dag.

Ek wil n generator koop om my lithium ion battery te laai as daar geen son is nie via my inverter. Ek het n kodak OGX 5.8 . Paar persone my nou al gesê die voltage regulators op van die generators is n probleem en my inverter kan hom dalk nie lees nie en aan en af sit heeltyd? 

Watter maak en hoe groot generator kan ek gebruik om  battery te laai? Help asb?

Groete Steve

What is the size of the lithium bank and how deep do you discharge it? 

Are you connected to the grid? 

• 1 month later...

Jammer my afrikaans is baie erg.

Die kragopwekker moet grooter as jou inverter wees. Sodat die spanning stabiel bly.

As your inverter is 5kva (i think) it would be ideal to go with a generator of about 8kva.

I have seen victron inverters that just flat out refuse to behave with any generators though, sometimes you just get unlucky. I will attach the victron article as it goes through some important considderations on generator sizing and selection.

Just now, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Jammer my afrikaans is baie erg.

Die kragopwekker moet grooter as jou inverter wees. Sodat die spanning stabiel bly.

As your inverter is 5kva (i think) it would be ideal to go with a generator of about 8kva.

I have seen victron inverters that just flat out refuse to behave with any generators though, sometimes you just get unlucky. I will attach the victron article as it goes through some important considderations on generator sizing and selection.

Found the article MultiPlus Generator FAQ [Victron Energy]

On 2021/08/11 at 8:52 AM, Steve7 said:

Hi. I am not connected to the grid. I have one 100ah lithium ion battery and discharge to around 10% left. Thank you

Once you have decided on the genny to buy. When you start using it adjust the charging current say 20A and see if it charges OK. Then you can adjust it upwards but stay well clear of the max amps of the genny. This lower charge current will assist in keeping the voltage stable. Also try to reduce the loads on the inverter while charging the batteries. 

From the Specs below, your Inverter can be powered by a Generator.👍

This popular and affordable off-grid inverter from KODAK employs a tried and tested methodology of reliability and stability.
Perfect for use as purely a backup device or a full off-grid solar inverter.

• 5kVA Pure sine wave inverter
  • Up to 4.5kW PV Array
  • 48V DC Battery Connection
  • High Voltage MPPT – Up to 430V DC
  • Configurable input voltage ranges for home appliances and personal computers via LCD control panel
  • Configurable battery charging current based on applications via LCD control panel
  • Configurable AC/Solar Charger priority via LCD control panel
  • Compatible to utility mains or generator power
  • Auto restart while AC is recovering
  • Overload / Over temperature / short circuit protection
  • Smart battery charger design for optimised battery performance
  • Cold start function
  • Can operate in parallel mode with up to 9 identical units

But like Basil Katakuzinos says above, get a higher spec generator than your inverter, so it can handle the House Load, and charge the battery at the same time.

Also, as Scorp007 says, you can change the battery charging current, so that your generator can handle it, and the house load.

With a generator, you might have to set the upper and lower voltage and frequency (Hz) wider than for mains, or the inverter will give error messages, and not work in a stable fashion. i.e. Set lower V to 185V, and upper V to 260V. Set lower Hz to 47 Hz, and upper Hz to 53.5 Hz.

Bad weather really is annoying. 😆😂

Edited by TimCam