COC for installations

Fritz

Good day, 

I recently finished my solar project installation at home. 

I thought it might be a good idea to phone my insurance just to notify them about my upgrade. I dont want to take a risk with highveld thunder storms approaching. 

The consultant sed its good , just send the COC through.  .... mmmm eish... what COC??.... hehhe

1. Do you guys all have COC's?

2. Did you notify your insurance?

3. Who does COC?

4. How much?

The CoC certifies that the installation is safe (done according to SANS 10142-1 Edition 1.8: The wiring of premises
Part 1: Low-voltage installations).

Quote: "The provisions of this part of SANS 10142 apply only to the selection and
application of electrical equipment, appliances and accessories, which are
part of the fixed electrical installation. They do not apply to the construction
and safety of the equipment, appliances and accessories; those aspects are
dealt with in other standards." unquote.

The CoC is issued by a qualified electrician with a Wiremen's License, registered with the Department of Labour.

(Just some useless/useful info):)

On 10/20/2016 at 0:16 PM, Fritz said:

Good day, 

I recently finished my solar project installation at home. 

I thought it might be a good idea to phone my insurance just to notify them about my upgrade. I dont want to take a risk with highveld thunder storms approaching. 

The consultant sed its good , just send the COC through.  .... mmmm eish... what COC??.... hehhe

1. Do you guys all have COC's?

2. Did you notify your insurance?

3. Who does COC?

4. How much?

Answer to your question 4: A CoC should not cost anything as it is not the CoC that is for sale. You pay for the time taken to do an assessment and testing of the installation, then you pay for the time and material to rectify any non-complying condition of the installation. The CoC is then issued with no charge (This is the honest way of doing it and anyone trying to quote you on issueing a CoC per se, just wants to make money).

3 hours ago, SOLARWIND said:

Answer to your question 4: A CoC should not cost anything as it is not the CoC that is for sale. You pay for the time taken to do an assessment and testing of the installation, then you pay for the time and material to rectify any non-complying condition of the installation. The CoC is then issued with no charge (This is the honest way of doing it and anyone trying to quote you on issueing a CoC per se, just wants to make money).

how much would it be if everything was done right?

43 minutes ago, AndewJ said:

how much would it be if everything was done right?

How long is a piece of string? :D

Because if the electrician starts checking, other things can come crawling out. If there is nothing else problematic, my last one for just the lights where R450.00 

On 10/28/2016 at 10:38 PM, The Terrible Triplett said:

How long is a piece of string? :D

Because if the electrician starts checking, other things can come crawling out. If there is nothing else problematic, my last one for just the lights where R450.00 

Exactly! If NOTHING is wrong and EVERYTHING is according to the Regulations (SANS 10142-1 ETC),  the electrician still has to complete the test report (part of the CoC) honestly; i.e. he has to use all relevant test instruments doing the mandatory tests and enter all values on the test report and then he signs, putting his head on a block, taking full responsibility for the safety and correctness of the installation in the eyes of the law. This might take at least an hour or so and the amount to be paid will depend on his tariff structure/rates. ASK FIRST! 

On 2016/10/20 at 0:16 PM, Fritz said:

4. How much?

In Phala, only a few guys doing it, If nothing needs to be repaired or changed, the quoted price is R1350. Price can be adjusted up or down depending on the size of the installation to be tested, but don't bargain on that, some guys stick to their price.

• 2 years later...

The electrician must drive out to your place. That is time he can use on another job that really makes some money. How can you expect him to go to a place, do all the testing, issue a certificate for less than R1000.00? Please remember, he loose at least a half a day to go to someone to issue that paper! I know how much work and time it takes. I am an certified electrician for more than 30 years

49 minutes ago, PulseElectrical said:

The electrician must drive out to your place. That is time he can use on another job that really makes some money. How can you expect him to go to a place, do all the testing, issue a certificate for less than R1000.00? Please remember, he loose at least a half a day to go to someone to issue that paper! I know how much work and time it takes. I am an certified electrician for more than 30 years

Welcome Pulse.

Sorry to be a bother, the last post on this thread was October 31, 2016.

FWIW: I paid R1500 for a CoC in 2018/2019 for a solar grid tied connection. Took a whole 30 minutes to do all the tests, emailing the paper.

Fixing it all, whole long story - whole bill was like over R10k.

He drove like 30min to me and from me to the next client a few streets from me as it was his CoC day. 🙂 

Point I am making is that it depends what the CoC is for, what is wrong if anything, for as Plonkster said, his and my DB's costed a lot, but we got the CoC for free. 🙂 

R1000 - R1500 for a CoC that takes +-30 minutes is acceptable.

8 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Welcome Pulse.

Sorry to be a bother, the last post on this thread was October 31, 2016.

FWIW: I paid R1500 for a CoC in 2018/2019 for a solar grid tied connection. Took a whole 30 minutes to do all the tests, emailing the paper.

Fixing it all, whole long story - whole bill was like over R10k.

He drove like 30min to me and from me to the next client a few streets from me as it was his CoC day. 🙂 

Point I am making is that it depends what the CoC is for, what is wrong if anything, for as Plonkster said, his and my DB's costed a lot, but we got the CoC for free. 🙂 

R1000 - R1500 for a CoC that takes +-30 minutes is acceptable.

There is no ways anyone can issue a COC in 30 minutes. Just to complete the form correctly will take 30 minutes (that is without any physical inspection or testing) .

I would never ever issue a COC for that kind of money. The amount of liability an electrician takes when issuing a COC is actually unbelievable in this country.

If someone should be electrocuted on your premises  - you will be held responsible for the electrical installation. So in order to cover yourself you get a COC issued. Now the  Electrician who signed the R1000 COC is standing in court answering difficult questions. Do I want to put that on myself for a R1000, no thank you.

If the electrician did the installation, from scratch then I do agree that the electrician should not charge for the COC as he is just verifying formally that the services that he provided is up to code.

OHSA is what makes a COC a leagal requirements.  

Occupational Health and Saftey Act, 1993 Electrical Installation Regulations.pdf

28 minutes ago, Jaws said:

If the electrician did the installation, from scratch then I do agree that the electrician should not charge for the COC as he is just verifying formally that the services that he provided is up to code.

Therein the lower cost and also JUST for the work he did. Filling in the form, PDF form and emailed, that is a bee-ach yes but 30 minutes, no! 🙂 

You guys sounded like the others a while ago when I popped my top saying that R10k+ for a Engineering report is nowhere anywhere acceptable. Turns out It was over the top. The BIG costs lie in first getting that CoC, then the Engineer can only come. Two costs that COMBINED can be R10 OR LESS! ... depending on what is found. 🙂 

Maybe the same here now with a CoC? I have one thing in mind at X time and Y costs, you guys thinking a whole house from scratch.

We are talking CoC for connecting a grid tied inverter, not a house CoC. Maybe we are missing each other a wee bit?

Ahhh a COC for the new install ,additional circuts or a complete house COC . To have a whole house done for R1500 hummmmm, too much work that needs to be done even just the testing and not taking into account the possible repairs.

6 minutes ago, seant said:

COC for the new install ,additional circuts or a complete house COC .

I got a CoC for the new install, just that what was done, not for the entire house, testing just that what was on the forum, if you apply for grid tied.

To get a CoC for the entire house is expensive as @Jaws and @PulseElectrical has rightfully pointed out. Lot of testing and finding out what the previous people did.

• 6 months later...

Guys hi, can i give my 5cents worth.

1. A Solar installation otherwise known as PV installation requires a CoC (Certificate of compliance). This would only apply to the where the PV installation is integrated after the point of control. In other words where it is now part of your installation.

Sans 10142-1 clearly states under point 7.12 (pg264) what is required. The CoC does not cover the Solar/PV installation in itself but merely where it ties into your installation. Whether it is Grid-Tie or Off-Grid.

The electrical installation will be tested according to SANS accordingly. What is however crucial is that the change over switch must disconnect the main supply in the Case of Grid-Tie.

The CoC will thus be issued with regards to the supply feed into the board. Not to the entire installation. Only should the customer require it so will or should it be done. I can elaborate on that but that should not be.

2. With regards to the CoC. It being for free or not that is not the issue. A electrician gets authorized and is issued with a DOL registration, certifying that he is in fact competent. It would only stand to reason that he/she gets compensated when the CoC is issued. The electrician would normally put a price to a CoC, this would typically include his travel, labor and administration fees.

If I had to drive 100km to go an issue a CoC the price would obviously increase.

Kind Regards

9 hours ago, Sparkie 123 said:

The CoC does not cover the Solar/PV installation in itself but merely where it ties into your installation.

I agree with most of what you say, but would rather include the Solar installation in the C.O.C as the following items needs to be checked.

1.There are the PV wiring size that needs to be rated.

2. The protection in terms of fuses, circuit breakers or switch disconnectors for the various PV and battery circuits.

3. Earthing of the inverter needs to be considered.

4. Lightning protection.

5. Labelling 

6. The correct selection and installation of equipment. (Such as glands where required, wire ways as required, covers where needed. IP ratings etc.)

I might of missed a couple more but these are the basic ones. I personally would not sign a C.O.C. without checking and recording the above, unless the client can produce a C.O.C from the Solar installer and I only do a C.O.C for the change over switch connection.🙂

4 hours ago, Johandup said:

A lot of trouble, as well as expenses, if it is valid for two years only. 

As far as I know a COC does not expire unless changes are made to the installation. Only in hazardous locations (fuel, gas etc.) an inspection needs to be done at least every two years otherwise the COC becomes invalid.

• 4 months later...
On 2019/11/01 at 9:12 PM, Gerrie said:

might of missed a couple more but these are the basic ones. I personally would not sign a C.O.C. without checking and recording the above, unless the client can produce a C.O.C from the Solar installer and I only do a C.O.C for the change over switch connection.🙂

If you were to check these , in which section of  the COC form you would record these