Mixing lithium brands..

MockTurtle

okay since the different battery brands/vendors out there are now getting competitive, started wondering whether it would be possible to mix/parallel different battery brands to a battery bank (provided chemistry/architecture is same)? or are we really locked in to the brand we initially bought?

for example say i got an existing hubble, and want to add a pylontech/bluenova.. is it a matter of just connecting them to the bank/busbar? sure they will each have their own bms, and will not necessarily be able to comm with each other. also only the one bms will be able to communicate with the inverter...

Hubble is NMC chemistry, while the others are LiFePO4. Mixing Hubble batteries with any other brand voids the warranty, according to Hubble.

You need to check with the other manufacturers as well. There is a great chance, they will also invalidate the warranty, if you mix with other brands. 

Edited by PowerUser

Another key issue: Even when batteries use the same chemistry they can have different cell counts.  For instance the Pylons are 15S while most other LiFePO4 batteries are 16S - they can most definitely not be paralleled.

...it was this video that initially got me to post. ...hmmm but yeah that smart shunt/solar assistant idea is interesting. i understand manufacturers will definitely discourage it - i guess i'm the sort who despise being delberately locked in and limited to my options... but don't we all?

Edited by MockTurtle