Solar Panels on the roof with wind & hail

StepbyStep

So solar panels for my setup might be in the picture sooner than I thought. But the strong wind in JHB over the last few days has made me nervous: how do your installations hold up in the wind (especially those of you with the Cape Doctor), and how calm are you in strong weather like wind, and hailstorms?

Is there anything extra you've done to mitigate these worries?

In Australia, we have 4 zones that require different levels of wind safety, e.g. how close to the edge of the roof are panels allowed to extend, and so on. In cyclonic areas, requirements are much more stringent than calmer areas. 

If the panels are on frames such that the panels are not parallel to the roof, then the frames have to be rated for the wind zone of the installation. So some mechanical or civil engineer has worked out all the details long ago. As mentioned, just don't get cowboys to do the installation and you will be fine. 

Thanks both for your replies - I'll probably end up mostly DIYing it myself (Hobson's choice) so I'll take the philosophical route of what will be will be atm. It's a lot easier to do so because the wind has died down now... 

I'm going to read up about what you said about the 4 zones - thanks Coulomb!

10 hours ago, StepbyStep said:

Thanks both for your replies - I'll probably end up mostly DIYing it myself (Hobson's choice) so I'll take the philosophical route of what will be will be atm. It's a lot easier to do so because the wind has died down now... 

I'm going to read up about what you said about the 4 zones - thanks Coulomb!

DIY is best bro, at least you will be sure that you have secured your investment on the roof properly. Peace of mind

Two weeks ago when I was migrating six of my panels from one side of the roof to the next, out of no where came the wind and and almost blew my panels off the roof. Never been so scared because I was carrying one and felt like I was doing kite surfing 😂