What's All this Smart Circuit Breaker Stuff, Anyhow?

BritishRacingGreen

Hi guys 

Noticed a 63A WiFi circuit breaker on online shops and found it interesting. Very much inline with the ultimate goal of automatic power routing and proper consumption management. Not must info in terms of approval / product certification at all.

But the fundamental question I do have is one of COC . Is such a device approved for db board installation. Example if you have the typical ELB with the correct cluster of load circuit breakers, am I allowed to install a product like this further upstream (load side) on say the same db board? Will that be ok for COC approval? 

Kind regards 

3 hours ago, Tariq said:

it has to be SANS approved, e.g. the CBI Astute wifi switch, it is rated for 30 amps  though

Could you please explain this please.  If all our breakers are SANS then why do you need SANS approval for an additional device?

Many of us have Sonoff switches in our supplies which is not SANS rated.  Is it illegal if I install that inside a DB board keeping the circuit breaker in place as opposed to installing it just outside the board?  Does it matter if it is upstream or downstream of a breaker?

What my logic tells me is that you have a certain size breaker to protect a certain size cable. If you remove that and replace it with the wrong size or unapproved (non SANS) then you will COC problems. If you install a contactor or breaker close to usage it should not be a problem.  If you install same inside the DB is it then a problem?

5 minutes ago, Tariq said:

.I had to remove a Sonoff from the db as the inspector that I used would not issue a CoC, please correct me if I am wrong.

The inspector that inspected my whole house wiring after I installed my solar system, signed off with Top Tronic geyser timer in my main DB. I doubt it is SANs approved, so it all depends on who does your CoC 

21 hours ago, dropkick said:

Hi guys 

Noticed a 63A WiFi circuit breaker on online shops and found it interesting. Very much inline with the ultimate goal of automatic power routing and proper consumption management. Not must info in terms of approval / product certification at all.

But the fundamental question I do have is one of COC . Is such a device approved for db board installation. Example if you have the typical ELB with the correct cluster of load circuit breakers, am I allowed to install a product like this further upstream (load side) on say the same db board? Will that be ok for COC approval? 

Kind regards 

I use these eWelink compatible boxes to control  my geysers, pool, borehole etc. 

They work using the Sonoff integration on Home Assistant and allow you to set the OPS settings to whatever you want as long as it is lower than 63A

Settings for Max Power, Min Power, Voltage & Current. 

Also has power usage which seems to be pretty accurate

Unfortunately they aren't flashable with Tasmota as far as I know. 

There is also a double pole version available on Bangood and pricing on BG is a lot better than locally. 

I have mine installed in a separate box to my DB and had no issues getting my COC.

31 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

I use these eWelink compatible boxes to control  my geysers, pool, borehole etc. 

They work using the Sonoff integration on Home Assistant and allow you to set the OPS settings to whatever you want as long as it is lower than 63A

Settings for Max Power, Min Power, Voltage & Current. 

Also has power usage which seems to be pretty accurate

Unfortunately they aren't flashable with Tasmota as far as I know. 

There is also a double pole version available on Bangood and pricing on BG is a lot better than locally. 

I have mine installed in a separate box to my DB and had no issues getting my COC.

@Sc00bs

Hi scoobs  , thank you for valuable info. That ewelink has crossed my path a number of times , and intrigued me.

I have always wanted to test the waters with bangood , and maybe this is my oppurtunity to do so.

Kind regards