Grey Water purified

Hi guys,

I installed a 3 tank grey water system.

All my waste water from toilets,taps, showers etc. is moved to this grey water system.

I don't need the grey water for irrigation so i am looking to purify the grey water into drinkable water.

How do i go about doing this ? 

I am looking for a company that can assist me as i am not a DIY type person.

Any advice will be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
On 2021/08/21 at 2:13 PM, CaTcH21 said:

Hi guys,

I installed a 3 tank grey water system.

All my waste water from toilets,taps, showers etc. is moved to this grey water system.

I don't need the grey water for irrigation so i am looking to purify the grey water into drinkable water.

How do i go about doing this ? 

I am looking for a company that can assist me as i am not a DIY type person.

Any advice will be appreciated.

do you NEED to do something like this? Its really not worth it unless you have no other option.

Also toilet = black water, do not mix with grey water!

The effluent from toilets should actually go into a septic tank with a french drain provided you have a big enough property. By doing this, you can get rid of your municipal sewage bill. 

Grey water from showers etc should be used for irrigation. But if you don’t need the water for irrigation, I’m not sure why you would want to purify this water to drink?

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

About 10 years back there was an elderly man , a retired engineer and professor who converted sewerage water into drinking water.

he did the conversation on my dad’s septic tank. At the time I didn’t care about all this but I did go to see the project and he showed me the purified water and he drank from it.

I too was like urghhhh… never, but today we face shortages of water and I want to be totally independent from the municipality.

I am not saying I want to actually drink the purified water where the source is from the s hit I flush down the toilet, but I could use that water for the washing machines, dish washers , for car wash etc. 

10 minutes ago, CaTcH21 said:

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

About 10 years back there was an elderly man , a retired engineer and professor who converted sewerage water into drinking water.

he did the conversation on my dad’s septic tank. At the time I didn’t care about all this but I did go to see the project and he showed me the purified water and he drank from it.

I too was like urghhhh… never, but today we face shortages of water and I want to be totally independent from the municipality.

I am not saying I want to actually drink the purified water where the source is from the s hit I flush down the toilet, but I could use that water for the washing machines, dish washers , for car wash etc. 

Have you considdered jojo tanks with a normal filtration system, you can collect rain water then instead or incorporate a municiple backup (or a combination of both!)

I really think the system you are describing is going to be wildly inconvinient (borderline impossible) and a massive waste of money! (At this point why not spend the money sinking a borehole)

How much rain do you get in your area and how much roof space do you have that you can use to collect water?

For the most part... dont touch black water. Grey water can be used for irrigation etc but filtering said water to drink in my opinion should be a last resort!

Edited by Basil Katakuzinos

8 minutes ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Have you considdered jojo tanks with a normal filtration system, you can collect rain water then instead or incorporate a municiple backup (or a combination of both!)

I really think the system you are describing is going to be wildly inconvinient (borderline impossible) and a massive waste of money! (At this point why not spend the money sinking a borehole)

How much rain do you get in your area and how much roof space do you have that you can use to collect water?

For the most part... dont touch black water. Grey water can be used for irrigation etc but filtering said water to drink in my opinion should be a last resort!

Agree

3 hours ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Thanks for your advice.

I will contact an installer I found off the jojo website and have them come out and determine what solution they may offer.

I am curious to see what can be done further.

I have about a 1000m2 of flat roof that can collect rainwater for harvesting.

regards 

Edited by CaTcH21

On 2021/10/09 at 9:41 AM, JoeyhZA said:

Question - waste water from the toilet goes to the tanks?

Poop water? And mixed with all the regular 'grey' water?

Yes , all the waste goes into tank1, which gets filtered and goes to tank 2, then goes through another process and into tank 3.

From tank 3 , they claim I can even use to connect my washing machine.

1 hour ago, CaTcH21 said:

Yes , all the waste goes into tank1, which gets filtered and goes to tank 2, then goes through another process and into tank 3.

From tank 3 , they claim I can even use to connect my washing machine.

Please... just dont do this(But if you do, i actually would be very curious to see this system in action). I do though feel like this solution, just like the water after filtration will turn out to be rather...shitty. 

I live in the desert & water is desalinated. The pipes are very poor quality & the water quality is just crap. We live with a RO system installed into the main water supply. The water comes from the Ocean & yet after drinking it, the water is really really good. 

A 5 stage RO system can do wonders. What a three stage system can do I'm not so sure. But to remove salt from water & other crap the RO system works rather well.

I'm just as curious as Basil😂😂😂

Not sure if accepted a glass of water in your home though. I'll accept a beer any day though 🍺

33 minutes ago, 87 Dream said:

I live in the desert & water is desalinated. The pipes are very poor quality & the water quality is just crap. We live with a RO system installed into the main water supply. The water comes from the Ocean & yet after drinking it, the water is really really good. 

A 5 stage RO system can do wonders. What a three stage system can do I'm not so sure. But to remove salt from water & other crap the RO system works rather well.

I'm just as curious as Basil😂😂😂

Not sure if accepted a glass of water in your home though. I'll accept a beer any day though 🍺

Well as long as it is not home made beer 🤨

I am currently building a grey water filtering system from various ideas and plans I have learnt along the way. 

First stage will be a combination of solid capturing and grease trap, you don't want these going through the system. 

2nd stage will be a surge / settling tank, so sediment will hopefully fall to the ground and water will flow through the system.

3rd stage will be a 10m trench, around 60cm x 60cm, lined with pond liner and filled with gravel crusher. 

This will have 4 compartments allowing the water to flow through slowing. 

On top of this will plant soil and have a semi wetland filter with plant pulling out most nutrients. 

4th stage will be a collection tank of around 1000 litres which will house the water for irrigation. 

My estimates put the system at the ability to hold 3600 litres of water which would hopefully be "purified" by the time it reaches the end of the system. 

It might be overkill but looking on Youtube some guys have really made nice looking systems that work really well on the above. 

I am just not sure the "black water" would do really well considering bacteria and E.coli etc.  

On 2021/10/10 at 5:11 PM, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Please... just dont do this(But if you do, i actually would be very curious to see this system in action). I do though feel like this solution, just like the water after filtration will turn out to be rather...shitty. 

If you're close to Centurion you are welcome to come and see this setup.

I spoke to the manufacturer today and they told me the this system doesn't allow any shit sludge to remain in the 1st tank.

My builder/contractor also confirms this 3 stage tank system is something unique.

I guess time will tell when I get done with the building and renovations.

3 hours ago, Blowdart18 said:

I am currently building a grey water filtering system from various ideas and plans I have learnt along the way. 

First stage will be a combination of solid capturing and grease trap, you don't want these going through the system. 

2nd stage will be a surge / settling tank, so sediment will hopefully fall to the ground and water will flow through the system.

3rd stage will be a 10m trench, around 60cm x 60cm, lined with pond liner and filled with gravel crusher. 

This will have 4 compartments allowing the water to flow through slowing. 

On top of this will plant soil and have a semi wetland filter with plant pulling out most nutrients. 

4th stage will be a collection tank of around 1000 litres which will house the water for irrigation. 

My estimates put the system at the ability to hold 3600 litres of water which would hopefully be "purified" by the time it reaches the end of the system. 

It might be overkill but looking on Youtube some guys have really made nice looking systems that work really well on the above. 

I am just not sure the "black water" would do really well considering bacteria and E.coli etc.  

Builder/contractor suggests to add a RO system after the 3 stage to get it to drinkable water. 

Again, I am not saying I am actually going to drink the water but I want it in that state for peace of mind, that the water is pure.

24 minutes ago, CaTcH21 said:

Builder/contractor suggests to add a RO system after the 3 stage to get it to drinkable water. 

Again, I am not saying I am actually going to drink the water but I want it in that state for peace of mind, that the water is pure.

I would strongly suggest considdering the advice from myself and others that this might be a verry shitty idea, pun intended!

Who is this manufacturer though?

Edited by Basil Katakuzinos

I can Vito the RO system. It's can sift out stuff we cannot see. It's really effective. It also adds a good taste filter & I generally struggle to drink water. But this pleasant taste filter makes the water taste really good. Not sure if Fiji water is sold bottled in SA. The water tastes like this. 

We all laugh & maybe are critical of what is being done here. There is only a water crisis when there is officially a water crisis. This is insurance for when that happens & by then we might find this so crazy. 

I'll still come for bottled beers though 🤣🍺 But would be amazing to test & see what gets through just the 3 stages. The proof is in the eating of the pudding or the tasting of the water 😋