Sunsynk 5.5 with Pylontech US3000

Gerrie

Just replaced my Axpert with the Sunsynk 5.5 situated in my garage, It is powered up and everything seems to work first time, still a bit of reading and experimenting to do with settings and WiFi dongle that I need to figure out but “WOW” what a machine. Everything about it feels and look like quality. It was quite easy to fit as most of my wiring was already in place except for the CT coil wiring that was a bit of a mission because my grid main cable is about 20 meters away from the inverter and I had to extend the CT coil wires to reach all that way and than changing my PV panels from parallel strings to series. Than fitting the earth bond relay easily inside the inverter, Also my DB in the house was previously upgraded and split into three sections when I first installed the previous Axpert. I did’nt use the PV string connectors on the bottom of the inverter but rather entered the PV wires through a sprag pipe in bottom of inverter. 3D05090F-7024-4D78-AE1C-0A9BBE839C71.thumb.jpeg.a8ebda4c655ee62b7470bd7d5ab497b1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gerrie said:

but “WOW” what a machine. Everything about it feels and look like quality.

When I bought my panels at a shop the other day , my eyes caught a rugged piece of machinery on the showcase wall. Approached it and it identified itself as a SunSynk 8kw . What a presence!  Seen a lot of images of it here, but those images do not do justice to the physical presence of this machine!   

I am committing cardinal sin :  my mentors of years ago taught me a fundamental rule : an engineer must never 'like'  something , he/she must always judge purely by facts. But I do believe the sunsynk is an exceptionally robust product .

10 hours ago, dropkick said:

my eyes caught a rugged piece of machinery on the showcase wall. Approached it and it identified itself as a SunSynk 8kw . What a presence! 

True, my wife brought my 5KW home and she said I can go fetch it in the car boot, for a moment I thought she got the wrong thing when I saw that big heavy box. I can just imagine the 8KW, guess guys better think where they gonna mount that beast. 😂

It’s still very early days for me to judge the Sunsynk but having worked with lots of cheap crap in my life this was not one of those moments.😅👌

• 2 months later...

The Sunsynk has been running for a few months now and no complaints. Now that it’s been running for a while I was surprised to see you can run a 3KW geyser element with only 1 x US3000 (set to 1.8KW maximum of course) and plus taking into account my undersized 1980W worth of pv panels. At midday with nice sunshine it does not need any grid blending except the 10W grid feed-in setting that I have setup. It will be hard for me to justify more panels with my little usage. I need to get a extra battery for night time though. Below 3KW geyser load on at midday and it’s on a timer for 20minutes at a time.D0D08D36-0CD8-43DA-8DD1-F4FD22022646.thumb.png.4645e199f25b5d1cfd6fdba81fd41513.png

33B34388-AF65-4364-9F65-0058825EE9B7.png

19110D57-7E9F-420E-8467-DEEC2F5F42AD.png

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Lee2 said:

What are all those plugs and lightswitches for next to the inverter? What powers them and what in turn do they power? 

The white sockets and light switch is existing things for my garage. The red plug however is a dedicated Eskom socket that feed my inverter. I did not fit a isolator like most installers do I decided on a socket so if I unplug it there is no Eskom power to the inverter and its than completely off-grid.

Just now, Gerrie said:

The white sockets and light switch is existing things for my garage. The red plug however is a dedicated Eskom socket that feed my inverter. I did not fit a isolator like most installers do I decided on a socket so if I unplug it there is no Eskom power to the inverter and its than completely off-grid.

That photo is bit old I did install a new  DB next to inverter, that was just a temporary little board in beginning to get my solar going.

5 minutes ago, Gerrie said:

Sorry maybe a stupid question, if you feed your inverter with a 15 Amp plug, you can only get 15 Amps to your load when you on Eskom, the 2,5 mm2 can only safely carry 15 Amps