Best 15kw hybrid system for R150 000

Hi everyone.  Thank you for accepting me on this forum.

I am new to solar and by no means an electrician.  I have a budget of +-R150 000 for a hybrid system.  I did my research on quality and few components, but implementation and first hand experience is something else.

My questions will be:

1. What system would you implement for R150 000?

2. Questions about what I had in mind.

Question 1

What system would you implement for R150 000.  Solar panels, interveters, batteries, installation etc.

Question 2

I want to go with a 15kw (15kwh solar array and 15kw inveter/s), 3 phase, 48V system.  I have an old electricity meter (so you see where I am going with this). Most of my electricity will go into the grid and I will only have a small 3,5kwh lithium battery for lights and tv during loadshedding.  According to this, what will your setup look like?  Am I planning my system the wrong way?

I will appreciate it extremely if someone can help me with my questions.

Thank you in advance.

I would go for three Growatt SPF5000TL at around R10k each, then one Pylontech US3000C for around R17k, the rest of the money will go to solar panels, cables and other accessories. As for the installation, you will have to DYI. 

You make no mention of exploring going completely off grid in the future - which I suppose might change the conversation somewhat.

If I had 150k to implement something to meet your listed requirements. I'd probably go with :

A 15kw grid tie option in the form of a Solis

https://www.diygeek.co.za/product/solis-4g-3-phase-dual-mppt-dc/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=7589&cmp_id=9588290156&adg_id=95763655101&kwd=&device=c

25x 590w PV Panels

https://jcsolarpanels.co.za/shop/solar-panels/canadian-solar-panels/595-watt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

Plus Backup:

That Pylontech you mentioned.

Basic inverter like that Growatt or whatever spec'd for your critical loads.

Perhaps something future-proof along these lines

https://www.sustainable-energy-solutions.co.za/products/rct-axpert-max-8k48-8kva-8kw-48v-hybrid-inverter?variant=39989541732510&currency=ZAR&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Didn't fully run the numbers but I think there'd be bucks to spare for cabling, rails, isolators, breakers etc.etc.etc. And yes, DIY installation - it's fun :)

Just my thoughts and might not be a popular method

makes me wish I had 150k for my own project :D

Edited by JoeyhZA

25 minutes ago, gooseberry said:

The Growatt is not a hybrid system and can't push into the grid.

True that it can't push into the grid, you wouldn't want to push into the grid if you have a budget of R150k. False that it is not a hybrid, a simple google will do if not sure. hybrid inverter (sometimes referred to as a multi-mode inverter) is an inverter which can simultaneously manage inputs from both solar panels and a battery bank, charging batteries with either solar panels or the electricity grid. The specific model suggested, does exactly this, so how is it not a hybrid?

33 minutes ago, gooseberry said:

Just be aware that what you're doing is illegal according to the Eskom SSEG guidelines. You'll have to register and get a new meter.

Hence my suggestion for an inverter that will never export to the grid. I don't think he will have issues if he is not exporting to the grid, but I stand to be corrected 

25 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

True that it can't push into the grid, you wouldn't want to push into the grid if you have a budget of R150k. False that it is not a hybrid, a simple google will do if not sure. hybrid inverter (sometimes referred to as a multi-mode inverter) is an inverter which can simultaneously manage inputs from both solar panels and a battery bank, charging batteries with either solar panels or the electricity grid. The specific model suggested, does exactly this, so how is it not a hybrid?

Thank you. I am beginner in solar and the semantics re the term 'hybrid' have been  confusing me to no ends. The little research I have done so far has ended up with exactly the same definition as you have declared here n bold.  In layman's terms , combining solar and battery on a DC coupled node within one unit.  

1 hour ago, gooseberry said:

The Growatt is not a hybrid system and can't push into the grid.

14 minutes ago, dropkick said:

Thank you. I am beginner in solar and the semantics re the term 'hybrid' have been  confusing me to no ends. The little research I have done so far has ended up with exactly the same definition as you have declared here n bold.  In layman's terms , combining solar and battery on a DC coupled node within one unit.  

On this forum, people often substitute "hybrid" with "bi-directional" and confuses everyone. Of course, the Growatt is a hybrid inverter! However, it's not a bi-directional as some other brands, therefore it cannot push to the grid side to supplement the non-essential loads or feed to the grid.

The way I see it and some comments are perhaps missing what is asked. Yes the Solis is a gr8 choice for the grid tied option. It can also push into the grid without tripping the grid due to the old type of meter. 

If 3 ph back up is not needed any off grid system could have the battery to provide 1 pH for lights, essentials etc. If the borehole needs to be on back up then a 3 ph off grid will be needed. With borehole on back up comes huge cost for batteries. 

One needs to decide if you want a hybrid for grid tied and back up or go the route with 2 different systems on the inverter side. 

Edited by Scorp007