BRAND NEW 8KW SUNSUNK INVERTER DIED ON ME

EugeneN

Hi Everyone.

Just wanted to share my experience with Sunsynk with you all so that you can make a more informed decision if you consider them.

I bought a complete solar system solution with Pylontech batteries, JA Solar Panels and a 8kw Sunsynk inverter.

System was running fine and I enjoyed monitoring the power usage - although its not realtime on the Solarman App but I see Sunsynk is busy rolling out their own app which is realtime, so yeah.

And then, 2 weeks after installation to the day, the inverter just stopped working. Installer came and checked it out and it was taken back to Sunsynk. One week later, no feedback! I would have expected to get a straight swap out without delay since the inverter was only 2 weeks old but that seems to not be the case.

This, after I was assured that these inverters never give problems and that Sunsynk is a great company. Maybe I should have just sticked to the trusted European brands but we all know what they say about hindsight. 

Just wanted to share my disappointment with you and to let you know that even if the product is good, be warned that the service is a major problem.

What exactly happened to the inverter? Did it die with no display output, and no AC output, or go up in smoke? Did the PV input stop working, or the batteries disconnect?

It would be helpful to others like myself who also have the same unit to know exactly what happened.

How many Pylontech batteries, and JA Solar Panels, etc.

My Sunsynk 8K has been installed for about 2 months now, and I'm really enjoying the savings. 👍😀

I hope you can reach a resolution soon.

@EugeneN You are 100% within your rights to demand a replacement unit according to the Consumer Protection Act 

I would try to find out exactly where the inverter is and what is happening to it. 

According to the consumer protection act, if an item fails within 6 months of purchase you should be given the choice of getting it repair/replaced or credited. 

If you don't get any feedback from them I would phone Sunsynk support on +27 10 100 3589 ands ask them to investigate. 

From the CPA

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201409/321864670.pdf

56. (1) In any transaction or agreement pertaining to the supply of goods to a
consumer there is an implied provision that the producer or importer, the distributor and
the retailer each warrant that the goods comply with the requirements and standards
contemplated in section 55, except to the extent that those goods have been altered
contrary to the instructions, or after leaving the control, of the producer or importer, a
distributor or the retailer, as the case may be.
(2) Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer
may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and
expense, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in
section 55, and the supplier must, at the direction of the consumer, either—

(a) repair or replace the failed, unsafe or defective goods; or
(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer, for the goods.
(3) If a supplier repairs any particular goods or any component of any such goods, and
within three months after that repair, the failure, defect or unsafe feature has not been
remedied, or a further failure, defect or unsafe feature is discovered, the supplier must—

(a) replace the goods; or
(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer for the goods

8 hours ago, TimCam said:

What exactly happened to the inverter? Did it die with no display output, and no AC output, or go up in smoke? Did the PV input stop working, or the batteries disconnect?

It would be helpful to others like myself who also have the same unit to know exactly what happened.

How many Pylontech batteries, and JA Solar Panels, etc.

My Sunsynk 8K has been installed for about 2 months now, and I'm really enjoying the savings. 👍😀

I hope you can reach a resolution soon.

Hi. 

There was no smoke and no other sign of problems like something melted or overheated. It was just as if it was switched off. You could hear something that sounded like a relay clicking if you put your ear to it. There was no dislplay and the house power also went out so no AC output. Had to use the manual changeover switch to switch back to Eksdom.

The electrician tried to do a restart/reboot as everything looked fine, batteries were at 86% and solar was working fine. No luck with that. Last reading from solar was 3.15kw at 14h21.

My system:

8 x JA 535W Mono Half Cell Glass on Glass Bi-Facial PV Panels

2 x 3.5kw Pylontech US3000C batteries

And the brick (read inverter) on the wall.

53 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

@EugeneN You are 100% within your rights to demand a replacement unit according to the Consumer Protection Act 

I would try to find out exactly where the inverter is and what is happening to it. 

According to the consumer protection act, if an item fails within 6 months of purchase you should be given the choice of getting it repair/replaced or credited. 

If you don't get any feedback from them I would phone Sunsynk support on +27 10 100 3589 ands ask them to investigate. 

From the CPA

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/201409/321864670.pdf

56. (1) In any transaction or agreement pertaining to the supply of goods to a
consumer there is an implied provision that the producer or importer, the distributor and
the retailer each warrant that the goods comply with the requirements and standards
contemplated in section 55, except to the extent that those goods have been altered
contrary to the instructions, or after leaving the control, of the producer or importer, a
distributor or the retailer, as the case may be.
(2) Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer
may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and
expense, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in
section 55, and the supplier must, at the direction of the consumer, either—

(a) repair or replace the failed, unsafe or defective goods; or
(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer, for the goods.
(3) If a supplier repairs any particular goods or any component of any such goods, and
within three months after that repair, the failure, defect or unsafe feature has not been
remedied, or a further failure, defect or unsafe feature is discovered, the supplier must—

(a) replace the goods; or
(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer for the goods

Thanx for the advise Sc00bs.

Contacted the installer this morning while he was on his way to them and advised him that I want a new inverter.

Maybe I got a Friday afternoon version. If I didnt have bad luck I would have no luck at all.

It's not often that one hears about this, but that does not mean that it doesn't happen, it's an electronic device and can happen with any manufacturer, despite quality controls being in place. Key to this is how effectively the installer and supplier manages the replacement / repair. It's a scenario that many of us don't envision, and that's why it is so important to buy from a reputable source, like the Powerforumstore.     

My own 5K Sunsynk has now been operating without skipping a beat for over 12 months now, day in and day out.

@EugeneN I sincerely hope that your situation gets rectified ASAP, please keep us informed on the progress?

1 minute ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

It's not often that one hears about this, but that does not mean that it doesn't happen, it's an electronic device and can happen with any manufacturer, despite quality controls being in place. Key to this is how effectively the installer and supplier manages the replacement / repair. It's a scenario that many of us don't envision, and that's why it is so important to buy from a reputable source, like the Powerforumstore.     

My own 5K Sunsynk has now been operating without skipping a beat for over 12 months now, day in and day out.

@EugeneN I sincerely hope that your situation gets rectified ASAP, please keep us informed on the progress?

🤞

In all fairness the supplier will have to investigate and make sure the equipment was not abused/installed incorrectly before replacing it. I imagine this takes time but they should have at least communicated the process and timelines involved. One hopes Sunsync has that capability in SA.

The process should be published and available to all end-users for following up on issues.

I had the same issue with another brand, 3 weeks later I got the replacement, BUT I did chase, follow up, send emails etc....

I just got word from the installer that mine is not the only one that failed.  Apparently mine is no. 4 in the queue and should be REPAIRED by Thursday/Friday. And this after I asked for a NEW one. who framed roger rabbit crying GIF

Can I play hardball and INSIST on a new one? If they just repair it, what steps can I take against it?

34 minutes ago, Tariq said:

As ScOObs mentioned, it is your RIGHT to chose the option you want under CPA rules, don't let them bully you

"repair or replace"... or you can ask for a refund.

I believe the price has come down so ask for a refund then buy a new inverter and you may be scoring a bit of cash for your inconvenience.

This is a 'their problem'.

1 hour ago, FixAMess said:

In all fairness the supplier will have to investigate and make sure the equipment was not abused/installed incorrectly before replacing it. I imagine this takes time but they should have at least communicated the process and timelines involved. One hopes Sunsync has that capability in SA.

The process should be published and available to all end-users for following up on issues.

I had the same issue with another brand, 3 weeks later I got the replacement, BUT I did chase, follow up, send emails etc....

I am sure that they do, my understanding is that's why Jean Joubert was hired in May.

https://www.sunsynk.org/post/i-would-like-to-welcome-jean-joubert-to-sunsynk-sa

22 hours ago, FixAMess said:

Agree 100% @FixAMess, they would need to check it 1st to make sure it is not an installer/customer issue. 

Once that has been done the claim would either be repudiated due to invalidation of the warranty or the customer must be given the option of repair/replace/return

@EugeneN Have you phoned Sunsynk's support number yet? Interested to hear what they say

3 hours ago, 87 Dream said:

Not to put down the brand or make in this post, but in general in SA, why is our backup, support & warranty claiming so darn difficult?

It is compulsory to honour the warranty claim & processing thereof. Yes, there needs to be a checking process to see if quality control was an issue at the installation phase, but the suppliers are really not compliant in this regard.

Almost seems, like they are like  insurance companies, forcing the largest amount of doubt in any situation to avoid the claim. ( I am dealing with a certain not to be named right now, battery supplier at the moment with an exact such problem.)

There is a very valuable lesson here. Not just with Sunsynk, but any kit that you purchase with any brand or supplier. These purchases are not small change, you should buy in the same manner as when purchasing a motor vehicle. The after sales services are more important than we might think. Because once you are in bed with the product, how your supplier will react, will ultimately make up the whole experience of the entire product.

Buy any product with open eyes, know your rights as a consumer, get the warranty fine print attached, read it through & also keep a record of when it will expire.

Sorry for your experience Eugene. Hope you get some closure & find a positive way forward.

Thanx 87, hope so too. Will keep updating as and when I get feedback.

15 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

Agree 100% @FixAMess, they would need to check it 1st to make sure it is not an installer/customer issue. 

Once that has been done the claim would either be repudiated due to invalidation of the warranty or the customer must be given the option of repair/replace/return

@EugeneN Have you phoned Sunsynk's support number yet? Interested to hear what they say

I'll give them a call today.

Hi Eugene. 

Of the 30 plus Sunsynks that I have installed, only 1 has failed on me. 

The unit switched off and had no way of turning back on we I removed it, took it to the repair centre and it was a factory fault on the inverter. We installed a new inverter for the client. 

You are well within your right to ask for a brand new unit as per the CPA. Just note that it’s often the issue with installer delays rather than the manufacture. 

Regards

Hi everyone. 

Got reply from Sunsynk on Friday that they repaired the unit. I told them again that I wanted a new inverter. Today they replied: "We repaired the inverter. Note that when we repair the inverter we replace the boards with new boards and it is just like a new inverter and still under warranty. The inverter gets tested and made sure all is fine and firmware is updated as well. The inverter is ready for collection."    Should I accept this, insist on goign after a new inverter or ask for a refund?

1 hour ago, EugeneN said:

Hi everyone. 

Got reply from Sunsynk on Friday that they repaired the unit. I told them again that I wanted a new inverter. Today they replied: "We repaired the inverter. Note that when we repair the inverter we replace the boards with new boards and it is just like a new inverter and still under warranty. The inverter gets tested and made sure all is fine and firmware is updated as well. The inverter is ready for collection."    Should I accept this, insist on goign after a new inverter or ask for a refund?

I don’t think anyone on this forum can assist you in making that decision. You should do what you feel is best for you. 

9 hours ago, EugeneN said:

Got reply from Sunsynk on Friday that they repaired the unit. I told them again that I wanted a new inverter.

I don’t know what I would of done if I was in a similar situation. I think normally if their was a problem with the inverter from the commissioning that the installer picked up they should definitely replace the unit, but the fact that it did work for a certain period of time and only than became faulty is the grey area where the terms and conditions become the choice of the supplier. Just my understanding of things.

I do think that it’s great that they fixed the unit in a reasonable time and gives me a bit of re-assurance with my own Sunsynk should something go wrong with the unit.

Maybe you should twist their arm for a free Sunsynk logger or extended warrantee to make up for lost production😉