Luxpower LXP - strange behavior - any advice appreciated

headward

Hi, I had a LuxPower LXP 5 KW and Dyness A48100 installed about a month ago.  I've experienced the following - maybe someone can tell me which are normal and which are indications of a problem?

- After about 3 weeks of being able to comfortably power 2.5 kw of appliances during load shedding, 1.4 kw became an issue -- certain lights in house going dim for the duration, and e.g. microwave making a different sound from usual.  Installer updated LXP firmware and reset settings and the issue went away, but a couple days later it came back again.

- Inverter makes a relay clicking sounds about every hour.  I understand a few should happen after load shedding as it tests if eskom power is fully up(?),  and when it stops and starts charging battery.  But this goes on all through the night when there is no load shedding, and no battery being used at all.  Some of it is the inverter trying to re-top-up an already 100% battery, but I think there are more clicks that don't have a corresponding spike in the app.

- Settings seem extremely unintuitive.  Has anyone found an explanation of what they actually do in combination?  (The manual just restates the name of the setting in slightly different words)

Edited by headward

9 minutes ago, headward said:

Hi, I had a LuxPower LXP 5 KW and Dyness A48100 installed about a month ago.  I've experienced the following - maybe someone can tell me which are normal and which are indications of a problem?

- After about 3 weeks of being able to comfortably power 2.5 kw of appliances during load shedding, 1.4 kw became an issue -- certain lights in house going dim for the duration, and e.g. microwave making a different sound from usual.  Installer updated LXP firmware and reset settings and the issue went away, but a couple days later it came back again.

- Inverter makes a *lot* of relay clicking sounds.  I understand a few should happen after load shedding as it tests if eskom power is fully up(?),  and when it stops and starts charging battery.  But this goes on all through the night when there is no load shedding, and no battery being used at all.  Some of it is the inverter trying to re-top-up an already 100% battery, but there are other clicks that aren't associated with any change in state or whatever that I can see on the app.

- Settings seem extremely unintuitive.  Has anyone found an explanation of what they actually do in combination?  (The manual just restates the name of the setting in slightly different words)

Are you able to see on a graph what is happening with the grid supply voltage? If you are constantly hearing relays clicking that might indicate very unstable grid voltage. The inverter will have a range (say 190V to 240V by example) where it will stay connected to the grid, should the grid voltage fall outside this range it will disconnect from the grid and reconnect once it is back in range.  As this is a Hybrid inverter it will sync its load voltage and frequency to that of the grid which might further explain your question in the other thread.

During this brief moment where it disconnects from the grid it will be using battery power which might explain the constant small top ups.

This is just a guess, don't really know these inverters to well.

On 2023/05/15 at 10:52 PM, I84RiS said:

Are you able to see on a graph what is happening with the grid supply voltage? If you are constantly hearing relays clicking that might indicate very unstable grid voltage. The inverter will have a range (say 190V to 240V by example) where it will stay connected to the grid, should the grid voltage fall outside this range it will disconnect from the grid and reconnect once it is back in range.  As this is a Hybrid inverter it will sync its load voltage and frequency to that of the grid which might further explain your question in the other thread.

During this brief moment where it disconnects from the grid it will be using battery power which might explain the constant small top ups.

This is just a guess, don't really know these inverters to well.

Hi, unfortunately I'm not able to tell what the grid voltage is but it's good to have a possible explanation

My main concern is the changing behavior when there is no grid power, battery only