Volta Stage 1 vs Volta Pro Stage 1 Battery

Good afternoon,

Been offered the Volta S Series Stage 1 (5.12kwhr, 100ah) battery and the Volta Pro Stage 1 (5.32kwhr, 104ah) batteries for a new install... is it worth the premium (10% price difference) to get the Pro?

Anyone with experience with them?

I can see basic differences on their website, but no real world opinions/experience that helps me decide: https://voltaenergy.co.za/volta-pro/

I did not realise Volta had a pro battery - curious to hear what the difference is between them.

I see DoD on the S series is 80% and Pro series is 90%, I assume the pro series use better quality cells.

Both have a 10 year warranty so not sure how much of a difference one would feel between these 2 batteries.

Pro says powered by Deye, so likely just a rebranded battery as well...

I personally still love my Svolt batteries, value for money is exceptional and makes it hard to justify other batteries.

Volta had some issues with their batteries not charging properly although I believe this was resolved with a BMS firmware update which at least shows that they are providing some support and fixing issues where necessary.

8 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

I did not realise Volta had a pro battery - curious to hear what the difference is between them.

I see DoD on the S series is 80% and Pro series is 90%, I assume the pro series use better quality cells.

Both have a 10 year warranty so not sure how much of a difference one would feel between these 2 batteries.

Pro says powered by Deye, so likely just a rebranded battery as well...

I personally still love my Svolt batteries, value for money is exceptional and makes it hard to justify other batteries.

Volta had some issues with their batteries not charging properly although I believe this was resolved with a BMS firmware update which at least shows that they are providing some support and fixing issues where necessary.

I don't know if the standard Series Stage 1 is any good, most installers I've spoken to say good things, but I honestly don't know. Because I've had Shoto's installed and the installer swears by them (I have no complaints, but it's only been 3 months), when another sparkie came on site to do the COC he called them the fire batteries (which refers to a few isolated incidents/problem that were fixed years ago on old models). People tend to have confirmation bias.

Paying a bit more for the Pro would ordinarily pique my interest, because one would assume improvements and lessons learnt would be applied to the 2nd gen, but apparently it is a completely different unit, a Deye battery in Volta packaging - in theory good, but in reality, is it worth paying more for? The 90% DOD was noticed vs 80%, but I take those stats with a pinch of salt anyway... because 6000 cycles is 10yrs away...

It's hard to trust the stats from brochures. I'm too far down the rabbit hole to switch brand choices at this stage, I'm limited to these 2 options unfortunately.

16 hours ago, Tag11 said:

I don't know if the standard Series Stage 1 is any good, most installers I've spoken to say good things, but I honestly don't know. Because I've had Shoto's installed and the installer swears by them (I have no complaints, but it's only been 3 months), when another sparkie came on site to do the COC he called them the fire batteries (which refers to a few isolated incidents/problem that were fixed years ago on old models). People tend to have confirmation bias.

Paying a bit more for the Pro would ordinarily pique my interest, because one would assume improvements and lessons learnt would be applied to the 2nd gen, but apparently it is a completely different unit, a Deye battery in Volta packaging - in theory good, but in reality, is it worth paying more for? The 90% DOD was noticed vs 80%, but I take those stats with a pinch of salt anyway... because 6000 cycles is 10yrs away...

It's hard to trust the stats from brochures. I'm too far down the rabbit hole to switch brand choices at this stage, I'm limited to these 2 options unfortunately.

For interest sake, why can't you switch brands?

If no money has been paid, I see no reason why one cannot change brands.

The only issues I have heard about with the original / S Series Volta batteries is the charging issue which was corrected with firmware but I have not specifically gone looking for issues with the Volta batteries.

R20k (S Series) vs R22.5k (Pro series), not a massive price difference but it does all add up. If there are no issues with the S Series then I'd likely go for those if I was forced to choose between those 2 batteries. All the small cost savings add up.

Fair question... I just don't want to mess the installer/supplier around... we agreed on a deal which I think is reasonable and I don't want to change to a battery they might not be as experienced with to save a few bucks. (The 10yr Deye/Volta warranty bundle is a slight advantage)

But yes, I've stuck to the S series to save just over 2 grand because I have a budget and paying cash...