Using 5 Amp plug tops to separate mains and backup

frankvw

Not sure if this qualifies as an "invention" but it is a bit of a hack, at least... 😃

As a first step to get proper backup power, I've installed the Victron Multiplus 24|800|16 that a mate gave me for my birthday last year. We've been using it as a "portable" inverter, hooked up to a couple of 2nd hand deep cycle RV lead/acid batteries, but now that we've moved into our new house it was time for something more permanent. For the moment it's still hooked up with plugs; DB boxes with breakers and a main switch will come later when I put in the solar panels, MPPT and additional inverter. (Image 1 - the enclosure at the bottom houses the new 2.6kVA LiFePO4 battery.)

However, I wanted to keep the Multiplus output completely separate from the house wiring. The Multiplus can deliver 700V/800VA which is enough for the fridge, TV, JoJo booster pump, ceiling and bedside lights (LED) and bedroom ceiling fan. But for obvious reasons I want to make sure the inverter doesn't get overloaded. Using extension cords would be a pain, but connecting the inverter to existing outlets in the wall leaves the very real risk of, say, an electric heater being accidentally plugged in. But while I was in the roof to sort out the house wiring I saw how the lights had been connected to the mains, and that gave me an idea.

Other than the standard 3 prong plugs there is also a smaller version, rated for only 5 amps, and typically used to connect lights in the roof. The plug top is similar to the regular one but smaller in size, and the outlet is round and fits a standard conduit box. (Image 2/3/4)

So I've used those plugs for the TV, fridge, water tank booster pump and bedside lights. In the lounge and kitchen I've taken a cover plate used to cover unused plugs, drilled holes to fit the round 5A outlet onto, and mounted it into the wall. It looks pretty good. (Image 5)

In the boot room where the pump is connected I've just used a conduit box. (Image 6)

Yes, I know, this is NOT according to code. But at least it solves my problem for now. We plan to leave our current home only once we're being carried out of it in a pair of pine boxes, so the executor of our estate can worry about the CoC when the property is sold off. 😜

Your opinions, please!

// FvW

IMG_20240414_124807.jpg

IMG_20240415_081034.jpg

IMG_20240415_081047.jpg

IMG_20240415_081059.jpg

IMG_20240415_083607.jpg

IMG_20240415_080846.jpg

Edited by frankvw
Bad image upload