Solar Generator build help please!

Egaig

Trying to put together a lifepo4 based battery pack dc ac and solar inputs, dc 12v and ac 240 volt outputs for use in camping and offgrid house in Mozambique. Need about 200 aH 12 v nominal capacity ( probably go 4s ) with 2000w inverter . Wil need to be as compact as possible keeping weight down but also need proven reliable components. A bms with mppt and ac and dc input like Redarc Victron or Electrodacus type board with Winston lifepo4 batteries ?. I already have Victron 2000w inverter ( 12 v ) . Import or local lithium batteries? Build a pack ?. 

The off the shelf componets very expensive.... could consider the Chinese board from ebay iff I know it will be reliable? Big if... 

Wil mount in Pelican type case. Honda eu 2000 generator as backup. 

Any ideas ?..

Thanx

Emil

Bluenova sells basically exactly what you describe, just sans the inverter. Also uses winston cells, and it comes in a carrying case not unlike the Pelicans. So all you need to do is make a second small suitcase with the inverter. There's a smaller pelican case (about briefcase size)  that I've used in a previous project that would work perfectly.

• 1 month later...

Bought the Blue Nova pack. Charging this with AC Victron 30 A charger. Charging in vehicle from alternator would need big dc to dc converter, this very expensive! Could I use inverter to power ac charger while driving to charge pack? Might not be as eficient as dc to dc but not terrible, and not so important - use a small amount of extra diesel ?

thanx

Emil

50 minutes ago, Egaig said:

big dc to dc converter, this very expensive

What do you consider expensive? The Orion DC/DC converters are around 3k for a 30A 12V unit. Sure, it's not milk money but on a scale of expectations, I probably wouldn't entrust the health of my battery to a device that doesn't cost at least half that... 🙂

If that is too much, perhaps consider a smaller Orion unit. The 18A unit is about half the price.