Real Capacity of Pylontech Batteries

shumbaman

I recently had some interaction with a local South African supplier who stated the following on their website:

"The Pylontech Lithium-Ion battery has a DOD of 80% when used with the Axpert or Infinisolar inverters which compares to 50% for typical lead-acid batteries. In order to provide the same storage capacity the minimum suggested replacement options, whereby Pylontech is used to replace the most commonly used 48V lead acid battery banks.

When used with Axpert, a Pylontech US2000 2.4kWH battery will deliver 1.5kWh usable energy when discharged at 1.2kW, and at 600W power draw 1.9kWh usable energy can be utilised..."

The Nominal capacity of the US2000 is 2400 W and the Useable capacity is 2200 according to the  spec sheet. I queried his figures as follows:

"Please could you detail how you come up with the capacities of 1.5 and 1.9 for the discharge rates of 1.2 and 600.

As I understand it the 80% DOD useable capacity of the US2000 is 1.920KWh and the Pylontech recommended discharge current is 25 amps or (1.2KW). Why is it that you state that the useable capacity at the recommended discharge rate is only 1.5KWh? "

Their response was a follows:

"The usable capacity is 2200 for the US2000

so 80% is 1760wh

But remember the inverter is around 90% efficient so there is further loss.

So that leaves you with 1.5kWH"

If this is the case then it is somewhat misleading to promote these products as 2400 watt capacity as it means absolutely nothing in the real world. Am I right?

1 hour ago, shumbaman said:

If this is the case then it is somewhat misleading to promote these products as 2400 watt capacity as it means absolutely nothing in the real world. Am I right?

There is a lot of such "marketing" numbers versus real life numbers. This dealer seems to be trying to remove all hype getting down to hard core issues, like 90% efficiency and all that.

Carrying that over I question the 6000 cycles and and +-10 years life as in: Where has the batts done that and / or has the product been around for 10 years? 😉

Same with lead acid batteries and 4000 cycles (+- 10 years at DOD of 20% / SOC 80%) and all that.
The ideal temp is 25 deg C for optimal lifespan of the batts. Now show me where that happens?
And how accurate can you gauge 20% DOD / 80% SOC?

I'm going onto 5 years now .. hoping on +-10 years - 1year for not having them 24/7 at 25 deg C.
And because I cannot absolutely guarantee 20% DOD / 80% SOC ... so now I am at +-9 years - 1 year for no an absolutely accurate SOC.
So IF I can get +-8 years at 20% DOD / 80% SOC out of them, I hope I am realistic.

Edited by Guest