Jump to content
  • 0

Derating. How does that work?


Bobster
 Share

Question

So it's getting near mid day, my solar panels are pumping 3+ kw. Then the battery gets to 100% SOC and the electronics in the system "derate" the panels and now there's just a small output to service any loads and keep the batteries topped up.

But the sun is still shining just as brightly, and the panels themselves must be producing as much energy. So where does it all go? Is there some big heat sink somewhere?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hi Bobster

While your solar panels are capable of generating 3kW - they only deliver the amount of power that is required by your system. Practically, this is done by your solar charger limiting the amount of current drawn from the solar panels.

Sunlight energy on solar panels is normally converted into a small amount of electrical energy (e.g. 17%) and the remaining power (83%) is dissipated as heat. When you stop drawing electrical energy from the solar panel, 100% of the sunlight energy will dissipated as heat.

So you are correct - the solar panels are one very large heatsink 😉 

Edited by NigelL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, NigelL said:

Hi Bobster

While your solar panels are capable of generating 3kW - they only deliver the amount of power that is required by your system. Practically, this is done by your solar charger limiting the amount of current drawn from the solar panels.

Sunlight energy on solar panels is normally converted into a small amount of electrical energy (e.g. 17%) and the remaining power (83%) is dissipated as heat. When you stop drawing electrical energy from the solar panel, 100% of the sunlight energy will dissipated as heat.

So you are correct - the solar panels are one very large heatsink 😉 

Ah thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...