Fish tank filter loadshedding solution

SpookPerd

5 hours ago, SpookPerd said:

Hi all, 

I have a 15 watt fish tank filter that I wish to run through load shedding. I understand that a UPS may not be the right solution, but an inverter seems like an overkill for such a low power appliance. 

Do I have any other options? 

Thanks in advance

Don't know the filters in use. Can you not use a 12V pump for the filter. 

I'm no professional.  But as I understand  the issue is that most of the pumps be it air or water for the tanks are AC. And the you have to convert the DC battery to AC via a UPS or just an inverter if you feel like switching over manually. As you say, UPS is over kill and will kill a cheap all in one UPS battery when running nothing or a small 15w pump for 1+hours

If you can find a 12v DC pump then you in luck. Just need to hook up to a 12V DC -UPS. R1000+ 

Of not . Then you at the mercy of the inefficiency of a AC/DC inverter. And with a pump, you'll need a pure sinwave.(another whole topic) Then get the smallest one as it makes it more efficient to just run a tank. Then an efficient model of that. And say you running 20W, you'll need a battery of 20+ Ah for a  gel battery or 12Ah for a  lithium, to run 4 hours. 

I already killed a cheap UPS for 12 small fish...so don't waste money on a small cheap ups.

If you do find a good set up let me know. 

Fish tip.

I just run extra air pump in the tank and make the water bit warmer . So when it goes off they can survive.