Fan Noise - Mecer Inverter - much better

10tpeg

Fan noise can be a problem, depending upon where your inverter is placed.  In my case, it is in a utility space which happens to be near my wife's study.

We recently took over a friend's 5kw Mecer inverter to replace our older 3kw Mecer inverter.  My wife has hearing similar to a dog (please don't let her read this!) and she was bothered by a high pitched whine from the inverter fans. I experimented with lower charge rates which helped to some degree, but the whine was still there.

This morning I took out the inverter and removed the 2 fans.  I cleaned them, and then removed the sticker in the middle of each fan.  I put 3 or 4 drops of sewing machine oil in each bearing, and then spun each fan using a hair dryer to let the oil work itself in.  I stuck back the stickers, refitted the fans and put the inverter back.

It really has made a big difference, and there is once more peace in the home (In more than 1 way!)

Im going to order new 80mm x 80mm ball bearing fans with a 4 pins lead to replace these, but this was worth posting in case it helps others.

Edited by 10tpeg
re-phrased a sentence