Anyone submitted an SSEG application to CoCT?

NigelL

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has successfully submitted the "GEN/EMB" application form for Grid-tied SSEG, to the City of Cape Town?  I am looking at installing the new Victron MultiGrid-II (with built-in Anti-Islanding) but without exporting any power back to the grid.

I am working my way through this form and just wondered if there were any pitfalls or recommendations relating to this application process...

2 minutes ago, NigelL said:

I am working my way through this form and just wondered if there were any pitfalls or recommendations relating to this application process...

Welcome NigelL

Nope, not that I am aware of. There is a trick though. Once you have the CoC, the engineer comes and check (I have contact details of one, send me a PM if you want), then the system is switched off, you need to wait for approval from CoCT to switch it on again.

Can take a little while. They guys in Bellville are quite jacked though.

So I heard form more than one source.

12 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Once you have the CoC, the engineer comes and check..., then the system is switched off, you need to wait for approval from CoCT to switch it on again.

Thanks! The application form is written in a way that allows you to submit it before obtaining the CoC - they theoretically want you to apply before installing or purchasing any equipment 😲.

I have just re-read the "Guidelines for Embedded Generation" - this details the steps fairly well. My main DB has a system bypass switch so I can continue as normal if my system has to stay off for a while. 

26 minutes ago, NigelL said:

The application form is written in a way that allows you to submit it before obtaining the CoC - they theoretically want you to apply before installing or purchasing any equipment 

Hold on a moment ... what form is that?

Did you get a electrician in to test the stuff they want tested?

15 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Hold on a moment ... what form is that?

Did you get a electrician in to test the stuff they want tested?

I have attached the application form - I found it on the City of Cape Town website http://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Apply/Municipal-services/Electricity/apply-for-authorisation-for-grid-tied-sseg

So far I have only had my DB upgraded to allow for an inverter (split up circuits, separate neutral bar, bypass switch, safety signage etc.). I was thinking of getting the paperwork in early in case this took a while to sort out.

I have not yet submitted anything - was hoping to get some pointers in case anyone on PowerForum had done this before 😉

Application for connection of Small Scale Embedded Generation.pdf

Edited by NigelL

@Mark - don't laugh! It is serias stuff. :)

A bunch of tests that must be preformed on the DB ... no jokes.

IF anything is not on par, there you go, here is the quote, EFT so long ... 

Just now, NigelL said:

I have attached the application form ...

Yes, that is the one. Mine is 99% complete, bar the spots that a sparky must test things. Like:
- Electrical parameters of embedded Generation
- Max peak AC short circuit current.
- Circuit diagram ... ?
- CoC.
- And then the Compulsory Declaration - Engineer?
That I know of ... 

Or am I missing the plot?

• 3 weeks later...

Jup,

Busy with installation and setting all up. Mine is approved for 10Kw/h 3 phase connection.

Actually very easy and as a change very nice people. If you need help give me a shout.

I am looking for a COC then I can go live. Only waiting for some breakers ( DC trips) then all done.

First phase will be a small unit to understand and learn then I will push to pump in +/-  15 - 20 KwH.
Any help I can assist give a shout.

On 2018/10/10 at 11:54 AM, The Terrible Triplett said:

Welcome NigelL

Nope, not that I am aware of. There is a trick though. Once you have the CoC, the engineer comes and check (I have contact details of one, send me a PM if you want), then the system is switched off, you need to wait for approval from CoCT to switch it on again.

#T Plonkers mention you have/know have good people for COC. Mind sharing the info?
Tnx

2 minutes ago, Erastus said:

#T Plonkers mention you have/know have good people for COC. Mind sharing the info?

For the CoC you just need a qualified electrician as far as I know. So it is a bit pointless that I recommend my local sparky for a job on your side :-)

TTT is the man to ask about the sign-off engineer guy. I have the details of one guy, which I got from him, but I believe he has a list of a few.

I know a solar installer in my home town who will likely help me with mine, but he is doing it only as a favour, normally he does not sign off systems he didn't install himself. And he is also a tad more expensive.

6 minutes ago, plonkster said:

For the CoC you just need a qualified electrician as far as I know. So it is a bit pointless that I recommend my local sparky for a job on your side :-)

TTT is the man to ask about the sign-off engineer guy. I have the details of one guy, which I got from him, but I believe he has a list of a few.

I know a solar installer in my home town who will likely help me with mine, but he is doing it only as a favor, normally he does not sign off systems he didn't install himself. And he is also a tad more expensive.

Tnx pity Little more is not the issue. Power is OK I ran a separate 220V 3 phase (4 wire). SO I keep it completely separate else people get confused. The first part was approved +/- 1 year ago that they have at CoCT. When I build my house I had 5 DB installed with 2 separate  cable systems ...  The average sparky struggles to understand but it was dev for home automation. Therefore it is completely separate. +/- 50 breakers 

Edited by Erastus
missed stuff

• 4 years later...
On 2018/10/10 at 11:54 AM, Guest said:

Welcome NigelL

Hi Can anyone please send me the details of a engineer I can use -- thanks  

On 2018/10/29 at 9:52 AM, DDD said:

Tnx pity Little more is not the issue. Power is OK I ran a separate 220V 3 phase (4 wire). SO I keep it completely separate else people get confused. The first part was approved +/- 1 year ago that they have at CoCT. When I build my house I had 5 DB installed with 2 separate  cable systems ...  The average sparky struggles to understand but it was dev for home automation. Therefore it is completely separate. +/- 50 breakers