Corrugated iron roof solar panel mounts

MorneDJ

Question

HI all. I would like to install solar panels on our office roof, but I need mounts that are fixed to 32 degrees (the roof slopes about 10 degrees to the south) and it should be long enough to allow me to mount the solar panels in "portrait" mode. All the mounts I could find were "landscape" mode (see https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/solar-panel-mounting-accessories/8602893/) and all I can find are not very big (largest was around 900mm, too small to fit my 365W panels).

I have 6 panels, and need to fit them in around 7m of width space. Alternatively I thought of building the mounts myself, just buying the rails to fit to my DIY structure. However, can anyone point me to a place that can supply aluminium rails that is nice and strong. I can get rails at Chamberlains but that is about 1mm thick Aluminium and I am not sure whether they will be strong enough to handle 6 panels when a strong wind try and rip my roof apart. 

2 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, MorneDJ said:

HI all. I would like to install solar panels on our office roof, but I need mounts that are fixed to 32 degrees (the roof slopes about 10 degrees to the south) and it should be long enough to allow me to mount the solar panels in "portrait" mode. All the mounts I could find were "landscape" mode (see https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/solar-panel-mounting-accessories/8602893/) and all I can find are not very big (largest was around 900mm, too small to fit my 365W panels).

I have 6 panels, and need to fit them in around 7m of width space. Alternatively I thought of building the mounts myself, just buying the rails to fit to my DIY structure. However, can anyone point me to a place that can supply aluminium rails that is nice and strong. I can get rails at Chamberlains but that is about 1mm thick Aluminium and I am not sure whether they will be strong enough to handle 6 panels when a strong wind try and rip my roof apart. 

Consider using Unistrut. It is very flexible in its application.