New 8 Kw Deye Smart Invertor Install

Joze Smith

Good Evening Good People

New too this and have been reading various posts regarding various installs. So I thought I will ask for guidance with my install:

I have a Deye 8 kw Smart Grid Tied Invertor with 24 X 410 Watt Canadian Solar Panels. I am installing 6 X panels in an array giving me 288 V per array ( working at 48 v per panel ) X 4 as the unit takes 4 arrays

I have the fuses for the panels ( 20 Amp ) , the surge arrestors X 4 double poles ; and 4 X 63 Amp Double Pole Isolators. However the system will be used to power the property during the day only ( bulk of my consumption happening then ), with no batteries installed. So should I require additional power the grid will supply the short fall ?

Is there any thing that I should be made aware of in advance? I have read through the installation manual and watched the video the supplier supplied regarding the set up of  the unit.

Any advise in this regard will be appreciated 

Kind regards 

I would suggest to put 8 panels per string in the one MPPT and then and the remaining 8 on the other MPPT. This will give you about 350v which would be better. 

I have the 8kw sunsynk which is similar and have 2 strings of 11 x 305w panels on the one MPPT and 6 x 305w panels on the other MPPT. 

It's also easier for me to increase my panels should I need to by just adding to the one string with 6 panels. 

Completed installation in 2 days. However I tested when I switched off the grid the unit does not keep producing power. The idea was to have the unit produce power during the day with no batteries even when council is off? So did I do something wrong in the set up perhaps?

37 minutes ago, Joze Smith said:

Completed installation in 2 days. However I tested when I switched off the grid the unit does not keep producing power. The idea was to have the unit produce power during the day with no batteries even when council is off? So did I do something wrong in the set up perhaps?

Is the whole house on the inverter? 

It will only produce to per the loads on the inverter of the is no grid. 

11 minutes ago, Joze Smith said:

Yes the whole house on the invertor and current draw is 2,67 kw nothing from the grid actually excess going back to grid ( making disk meter turn back wards🤦‍♂️)

Could just be a setting. I have the sunsynk 8kw so not sure how the interface on the Deye looks but my understanding is that if the grid goes down it should still produce from solar to supply the loads even with no battery. 

Just now, Vassen said:

I don’t think this is the case. With no battery, it basically gets setup as a grid tied  inverter. A grid tied will not work if there is no grid. 

It needs the battery to be able to create a buffer. If you have a perfectly clear day and your solar is generating x kw of power and x kw is going to your load and then suddenly a cloud comes over and your generation drops, there’s no way to continue powering your loads. 

I could be wrong, but that’s just my understanding. 

best to get a small battery bank, even 2nd hand lead acids will do the trick. 

But it's a hybrid inverter so should be able to work on grid tied or off grid with no batteries. 

I should maybe disconnect my batteries and switch off the grid and see what it does.