PV Clarity

Craig Botha

Good Day all,

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this but I did go a few pages deep and search to try and find the answer - with no success.

Overview of what I have:

• 3 x SOL-I-AX-5NB in parallel
  • 8 x Vision 200Ah 12V Deep Cycle AGM Battery (6FM200Z-X) 48v (series & parallel)
  • 18 x 330W GCL Solar PV 72 Cell 

What I would like assistance with is, The manual says Common AC input across all 3 inverters, common output between all 3 and then common battery.
what is a little contradictory in the manual is the PV, do I need to split into 3 strings of 6, with each string powering an inverter or combined PV into one combiner then split the combined PV between the 3 inverters.

Thanks in advance. 

14 hours ago, Craig Botha said:

do I need to split into 3 strings of 6, with each string powering an inverter

Yes. The PV doesn't have to be split evenly (but that's good if you can), but each inverter must have its own, separate panels (or none at all). Never share panels with more than one inverter.

If you want to save some wiring, you could wire the panels as 2 strings each 9S, if the Voc is suitable (less than 450 V @ 0°C, or your lowest likely temperature). One inverter would then have no PV connected, and you would have a spare solar charge controller. If you have shading issues, the three independent MPPTs will likely be worth the extra one-off cost of wiring.

Thank you, it is clear now.

For confirmation, If I was to run just two strings and wanted to add a 500w wind turbine to the system, I am correct in saying that it would not be able to connect into the 3rd inverter. Rather, I would have to use the turbine connected separate charge controller, then that separate charge controller connected directly to the battery banks.

My fear is "confusing" the inverters if there some form of sensing on the inverter charger controller?

Thanks again.

On 2020/12/12 at 8:26 AM, Craig Botha said:

I am correct in saying that it would not be able to connect into the 3rd inverter.

Yes, you are correct. Wind turbines operate very differently to PV panels, and require completely different charge controllers.

Edited by Coulomb
improved grammar