Victron CCGX

Louw

HI All

I currently have a Victron 150/70 charging 4 x T105 (225Ah;  24V). I limited the charge current to 33A to ensure I don't overcharge my batteries.  Taking into account that the inverter use 2A and base load is around 4A I am around 27A maximum charge of my batteries.

I am looking into adding my pool pump/borehole pump to solar as well.  The problem is that at 750W the pool pump draws 30A Plus, thus drawing power from the batteries.  So I am looking for a solutions to increase my charging from my MPPT during these times.

Will a Victron CCGX linking the MPPT to my BMV-700 be able to do this (Taking into account that I have VERY LIMITED to NO programming abilities). Or does anyone else have ideas?

Regards,

3 hours ago, Louw said:

Will a Victron CCGX linking the MPPT to my BMV-700 be able to do this (Taking into account that I have VERY LIMITED to NO programming abilities). Or does anyone else have ideas?

Only when running Hub-1 or ESS, and not with the canbus MPPTs (only the vedirect ones).

7 hours ago, Louw said:

HI All

I currently have a Victron 150/70 charging 4 x T105 (225Ah;  24V). I limited the charge current to 33A to ensure I don't overcharge my batteries.  Taking into account that the inverter use 2A and base load is around 4A I am around 27A maximum charge of my batteries.

I am looking into adding my pool pump/borehole pump to solar as well.  The problem is that at 750W the pool pump draws 30A Plus, thus drawing power from the batteries.  So I am looking for a solutions to increase my charging from my MPPT during these times.

Regards,

You can replace one 150/70 by two 150/35  split the bank and trigger the second one only when pool pump is running using conventional wiring and contactor logic 

Thanks Guy

@plonkster interesting that you can't do it with their biggest MPPT's

ghatikar - I had a similar idea - Control one of the PV strings with a Relay that switches on when the pump starts. Put then I will only use the Panels when the pump is running whereas currently I have overspec my Panels to allow for the overcast day's and was planning to only run the pool pump on sunny days where I have excess PV power.

Currently my best value for money idea is just to double my battery capacity when I have to replace my batteries. Current price are R9,400 for 4 additional T105 vs R7,800 for a CCGX (without cables).  450Ah will allow me to charge at almost 70A which is more than enough to run a 750W Pool pump or 1.1kw Borehole pump (Not at the same time) without drawing from the batteries.  And then I get the additional benefit of doubling my storage capacity

50 minutes ago, Louw said:

interesting that you can't do it with their biggest MPPT's

Oh, that is easy to explain. It happens all the time.

First off, the two canbus MPPTs are no longer the largest ones. They now have a 150/100, 250/85 and a 250/100 controller in the "new" form factor.

Secondly, the two canbus controllers were once the only ones that supported this operation via hub-1 and a very expensive cable that bridged the vebus and the canbus, so they got there first using what could be called version 1 of the implementation. Then, when implementing this for the other cheaper controllers they ended up using a slightly different (and better) way, so the canbus controllers got a little left behind. The result is that the canbus controllers aren't capable of current control, and though it would not take much work to fix it, it simply doesn't have much priority at the moment as it really affects only two products, and almost all the latest development is on the newer products anyway.

But back to the problem, if you have 225Ah batteries, you really can increase the limit somewhat. Though it is generally recommended that you charge around the C20 level, and around 15% max of the Ah capacity, those Trojans are vented and can take a little abuse (and here we're talking failure mode, something bad happened). I would say you can increase the maximum charge current to as high as 45A without too much trouble.

The controller also has a protection feature called "bulk protection", which turns off the charger if it doesn't reach bulk voltage after ten hours of charging. It is off by default.

1 hour ago, Louw said:

R7,800 for a CCGX

ExSolar has a special at the moment on the CCGX. I think it's just a smidge over 6k, not sure if that's ex-vat.

You can also use a Venus-GX (around 4.5k) or a Raspberry Pi (around 2.5k with all the gadgets and cables included), although the Pi option of course comes with only community support, no official helpdesk support :-)

Finally, there is some work going on specifically to make the DC chargers (aka MPPTs) work correctly with Lithium batteries, that is, to make them obey the charge control limits the BMS wants, and I suspect some of this will filter down to lead-acid too, though I'm not sure. Not too clued up on that stuff, it is still very new.