Phocos 5kW - How much Solar can it handle?

MYBRIDH

Good day all. Hope you are doing well.

Question relates to the PSW-H-5KW-230/48V.

I bought it a good while ago, not yet installed. At the time, I was under the impression that it had 2 MPPTs which it turns out is not the case. I back then bough half a set of panels for the one MPPT,  not having a second MPPT as I thought, I have been hunting in vain and not able to find a matching set for the other PV input.

So, I need a complete set of panels. My question is , as compared to the specs, how much PV can I actually connect to this inverter?

Manual states:

Max PV voltage = 450V

MPT range = 120 - 430V

Max usable PV Current = 22Adc

Max usable PV Power = 4800W

Max PV array power = 6000W

To elaborate on the question:

If I had two strings of panels , with 22A total Imp capability but enough panels that the voltage was at the upper end of the MPPT range at 343V, would equate to power capability of 7.5kW. Yet from both a current and voltage point of view it is within range.

This though exceeds the Max PV array power = 6000W...........Should this 6000W limit be taken literally or would it generally be ok as long as the current and voltage are within stated ranges?

Looking at it from another point of view, if the current capability of the PV array was such that it could provide more than the 22A but still within MPPT voltage range, would the inverter  just limit its consumption or would I turn the inverter into a smoke machine?

If this has been covered before, please do point me in the direction of that discussion.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, answers to these questions would  really help my efforts to not screw up when buying panels again.

Regards

Kassie

Edited by MYBRIDH

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would not exceed the 6 kW. The issue will be overshoots. With more panel power than it's designed for, small changes in PWM ratio will result in large changes in charge current. If it was a really solid name brand, perhaps, but Phocos doesn't strike me as being one of those. I could be wrong.

On 2023/02/06 at 6:42 AM, Coulomb said:

Personally, I would not exceed the 6 kW. The issue will be overshoots. With more panel power than it's designed for, small changes in PWM ratio will result in large changes in charge current. If it was a really solid name brand, perhaps, but Phocos doesn't strike me as being one of those. I could be wrong.

Much appreciate the feedback thank you Coulomb. I will try and err on the cautious side.