Essential Load wiring into existing House DB

schalkvstaden

Hi All,

This might be a topic that has been discussed a few times but would like to get closure on this.

The setup:

A typical house DB that has a 63A mains, 63A E/L and common circuits wired.\

5kw Sunsynk Inverter that will feed the essential circuits in the above main house DB.

The inverter will get its own protection DB i.e has a CB feeding the inverter, CB on the output of the inverter and a bypass switch and SPD.

When looking at SANS 10142-1  Figure P.3 it shows my typical setup.

I will have a single pole installed in my house DB feeding my inverter protection DB which feeds the inverter.

Then the question, many house DB's have limited space to add circuit breakers so adding the single pole will be doable.

according to the diagram you will have to install a ups main switch in the house DB or E/L that can act as mains.

What do I do if I do not have the space to add this UPS main switch in my house DB.

WIll it be sufficient to label my house DB and say that in case of emergency isolate at inverter DB as well?

what is the industry standard on this.

Please advise with reference to standards or industry practice.

image.thumb.png.f0d2f9edc4287bfe40d961d3cca0cb95.png

I ended up installing a second DB above my original DB because of the space constraints. So mains up to the change-over switch and back to essential circuits. I left the essential breakers in the bottom DB but moved them to leave a space for a blanking plate in between to physically see the split.

What I found helps more than anything else is to have led indicators on each of the inputs and outputs. If any lights are on don't touch anything. Saved my bacon more than once.