Question: Dyness batteries maximum charge??

Golf_Nutt

Hello,

I had a system installed few days ago. Deye 5KW inverter and 2x Dyness 5kw batteries. Panels coming when they eventually get stock.

I have a few questions to those who know more than me about these things:

1. The installer said the system is set to only discharge the batteries to 30%. Is this normal?

2. The batteries never reach a full charge? They get to 80% of max capacity and then stop charging? Surely this is not normal. See attached pics. Is this a setting on inverter causing this or faulty batteries? Or is this normal?

So, if the system is set to only discharge the batteries to 30% and only charge to maximum 80%, that means I only get 50% usage form a battery? What's the point of Lithium then, as this is the same % I can get from cheaper lead-acid, no?

Feedback or input much appreciated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Golf_Nutt said:

Hello,

I had a system installed few days ago. Deye 5KW inverter and 2x Dyness 5kw batteries. Panels coming when they eventually get stock.

I have a few questions to those who know more than me about these things:

1. The installer said the system is set to only discharge the batteries to 30%. Is this normal?

2. The batteries never reach a full charge? They get to 80% of max capacity and then stop charging? Surely this is not normal. See attached pics. Is this a setting on inverter causing this or faulty batteries? Or is this normal?

So, if the system is set to only discharge the batteries to 30% and only charge to maximum 80%, that means I only get 50% usage form a battery? What's the point of Lithium then, as this is the same % I can get from cheaper lead-acid, no?

Feedback or input much appreciated.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe the inverter has been set to only charge to 80% SOC during certain  time slots and then to only discharge to 30% SOC during other time slots? As you have no PV this is actually pretty easy to set.  Post a picture your system work mode. Something like this

SA_Solar_09Oct2021-03a.thumb.jpg.f06903e984be3130cfa175db97f165e3.jpg

Hi, apologies for the late reply, but got sidetracked :)

So, these are the settings as left by the installer. This is for a Deye 5KW inverter and 2x dyness BX51100 batteries. No solar yet. They arrive in one month only apparently.

As mentioned, currently the batteries don't charge to 100%, only 80%. I now know why :)  Some of the other settings also don't seem 100% correct?

I think. Would someone be able to look over the rest of the settings and advise if they seem reasonable? System has been installed for like total 4 days now. 

For now, I just need the system to run off Eskom when Eskom is on, and battery during loadshedding, until I get my panels. So kind of like a UPS.

4c2c9bec-1ab3-4707-aed6-b6d6c7d08e46.JPG

e62f7803-3568-4e39-81e9-6a59f96a6879.JPG

02a4b99b-116a-4eba-b0c5-959cbf926014.JPG

37954b56-07e8-4464-a065-6e0e3f5e9b2e.JPG

4eba909d-958a-4e99-9dbf-81d15b24bf66.JPG

That last image does you everything you need to know in terms of max charge. Because you don't have solar, once the batteries get below 80% they are charged up again up to 80%. If you had solar it would push all the way up to 100%

Since you want a UPS you can untick time of use. It will keep your batteries at 100%

Edited by mzezman

13 minutes ago, mzezman said:

That last image does you everything you need to know in terms of max charge. Because you don't have solar, once the batteries get below 80% they are charged up again up to 80%. If you had solar it would push all the way up to 100%

Since you want a UPS you can untick time of use. It will keep your batteries at 100%

Hi, many thanks.

So then on that last image in the working mode, I simply can untick "time of use" then it will operate as a UPS when there is no Eskom, and keep batteries at 100% when there is Eskom power (whilst running the house off eskom power too), regardless of the Batt % setting on that screen?

Edited by flyfisherman

11 minutes ago, flyfisherman said:

Hi, many thanks.

So then on that last image in the working mode, I simply can untick "time of use" then it will operate as a UPS when there is no Eskom, and keep batteries at 100% when there is Eskom power (whilst running the house off eskom power too), regardless of the Batt % setting on that screen?

That's exactly it. 

You'll need to revisit that screen when you get Solar to find the right SOC and times for your house. But for UPS untick ToU

Many thanks @mzezman

Few more questions if you don't mind :)

1. Seeing as the Dyness BX51100 is a 0.5C battery, and I have 2 of them in parallel, should the charge and discharge current both be set to 100A in the Batt Mode image or its ok to leave at 40A? What is the actual effect of this on the charge? Does it purely affect how long the BMS "works" on balancing etc? So higher current it will balance and load faster?

From the Dyness Manual :

3.2.4 Battery parameter settings on the inverter
Max Charging(Bulk) Voltage: 57V
Absorption Voltage: 56.5V
Float Voltage: 56V
Shut Down(cut off) Voltage: 50V
Shut Down(cut off) SOC: 20%
Restart Voltage: 52V
Max Charge Current: 50A*battery QTY
Max Discharge Current: 50A*battery QTY

2. Also in Batt Mode image. How long should you leave the Activate Battery selected? My understanding is initially after installing you select it, then after the bank is balanced you can de-select it? What is a rule of thumb here?

3. Same for the Batt Set 2 image. Should this also be changed to 100A as there are 2x 0.5C batteries in parallel?

4. Also from batt Set 2 image. Grid Signal and Gen signal I assume can be disabled from my understanding and reading the manual? But Grid Charge stays selected?

Edited by flyfisherman

16 minutes ago, flyfisherman said:

Many thanks @mzezman

Few more questions if you don't mind :)

1. Seeing as the Dyness BX51100 is a 0.5C battery, and I have 2 of them in parallel, should the charge and discharge current both be set to 100A in the Batt Mode image or its ok to leave at 40A? What is the actual effect of this on the charge? Does it purely affect how long the BMS "works" on balancing etc? So higher current it will balance and load faster?

From the Dyness Manual :

3.2.4 Battery parameter settings on the inverter
Max Charging(Bulk) Voltage: 57V
Absorption Voltage: 56.5V
Float Voltage: 56V
Shut Down(cut off) Voltage: 50V
Shut Down(cut off) SOC: 20%
Restart Voltage: 52V
Max Charge Current: 50A*battery QTY
Max Discharge Current: 50A*battery QTY

2. Also in Batt Mode image. How long should you leave the Activate Battery selected? My understanding is initially after installing you select it, then after the bank is balanced you can de-select it? What is a rule of thumb here?

3. Same for the Batt Set 2 image. Should this also be changed to 100A as there are 2x 0.5C batteries in parallel?

4. Also from batt Set 2 image. Grid Signal and Gen signal I assume can be disabled from my understanding and reading the manual? But Grid Charge stays selected?

1 - You can definitely set charge and discharge to 100Amps if you wish - some say its better to make it lower but 0.5c is fine. It will then charge your bank at a max of 5kw (2.5*2) - filing it up faster. It will also draw from the bank faster should the need arise - so in loadshedding you can run devices that draw up to 5kw with no issues. For my 3 battery bank i have it at 115A - way less than the 150A it can do but that works for me

2 - You can deactivate it after a few charge and discharge cycles - BMS will manage the balancing daily. 

3 - Set the max charge on Batt set 2 to the same as you have on Battery set 1

4 - You can disable Gen charge / Signal as I am assuming you don't have a generator connected. Leave grid charge selected - at least until you get your panels then you can decide if you want to charge batteries from the grid