Axpert does not switch from solar to util

Rob Scott

I have a Synapse 2.4kW inverter, set on SOL, with Li-ion battery. In order to avoid using the battery in the late afternoon I switch off the dc supply from the solar panels (less than ~3 amps) but the inverter continues to show a connection to the panels and still registers 1 or 2 pv amps! It should of course have switched to Utility, but does not, & continues to use battery power. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Edited just now by Rob Scott

Edited by Rob Scott
Problem!

6 hours ago, Rob Scott said:

the inverter continues to show a connection to the panels and still registers 1 or 2 pv amps!

Depending on age, the Synapse might be an Axpert clone or even a genuine Axpert. if so, the solar charge controller may be similar to the one I traced the schematic for here. My guess is some part of the power supply from the PV detection to the transistors (Q20, Q17, Q15) that allow battery voltage to power the oscillator chip U3.

If you're not handy with electronics, you would need to get that repaired.

An alternative might be to use an external MPPT to charge the battery directly, but somehow disable the SCC (unplug its two connectors), but that doesn't allow you to easily switch to utility, unless you do it via monitoring software.