My SunSynk inverter farted itself

Garth Arendse

We woke up yesteday morning and no power - inverter was on but nothing and all the dials showed zero.
Hard reboot and power restored but it stopped charging the battery and all the dials showed zero. 
It all started after grid power was restored at 4:10am the morning- you can see the graphs shows everything messed up.

Also I am seeing F59 error in the connect app - Synsunk did a firmware download - it is still borked.

Not so impressed with 2 months of service out of the thing - any other brand you can recommend ???.

IMG-20230519-WA0003.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-18-20-46-01-367_com.elinter.app.sunsynk.jpg

Try shutting everything down by following the documented process. The switch it on again by following the process and see if that helps?

Shutdown Sequence:
1) Switch off AC
2) Press the start button
3) Switch off the battery and the battery breaker
4) Switch off the DC (PV isolator)

Power on Sequence:
1. Switch on AC
2. Press Start Button
3. Switch on Battery and battery breaker
4. Switch on the DC (PV Isolator)

Hi Garth

Just interested to know what the issue was exactly as i am in the process of investing in Solar System.

Was it as a result of surges and spikes from when the grid was restored?  Wouldn't SPDs help in such situation? I saw the F59 error.

f59 ac_v_gridcurr_high_fault

The item is very expensive just to have it go toast like that.. Very disappointing

1 hour ago, Garth Arendse said:

The installer came out - well it is rather dead - the relays are clicking but it is not taking feed from PV or Battery.
Getting a replacement.

Sounds like one of the 3 PC boards got some damage. Did the installer add the correct spec SPDs ( and when I say correct, I mean was a quality product used) to the incoming grid supply before the inverter as this should prevent a voltage spike on grid return making it into the inverter.

No inverter, does not matter the make, can protect against a severe voltage spike coming from the AC grid supply if the correct equipment is not installed, it just would not be able to react in time to prevent damage which is why high quality SPDs are required.

19 hours ago, I84RiS said:

Sounds like one of the 3 PC boards got some damage. Did the installer add the correct spec SPDs ( and when I say correct, I mean was a quality product used) to the incoming grid supply before the inverter as this should prevent a voltage spike on grid return making it into the inverter.

No inverter, does not matter the make, can protect against a severe voltage spike coming from the AC grid supply if the correct equipment is not installed, it just would not be able to react in time to prevent damage which is why high quality SPDs are required.

The company I bought it from send around an expert and he checked the install by the contractor and he could not find anything wrong - they considering this an out of box failure.

IMG_20230520_153650.jpg

20 hours ago, Jakac said:

Hi Garth

Just interested to know what the issue was exactly as i am in the process of investing in Solar System.

Was it as a result of surges and spikes from when the grid was restored?  Wouldn't SPDs help in such situation? I saw the F59 error.

f59 ac_v_gridcurr_high_fault

The item is very expensive just to have it go toast like that.. Very disappointing

It happens I guess.
There is SPD's installed but it is under warranty and not costing me $$$ - just annoying to be suffering loadshedding again - got so used to not checking Eskom Se Push to plan my life around anymore and I also I got rid of my backup power systems in the office when I switched to solar.

5 hours ago, Garth Arendse said:

Okay the replacement inverter has been delivered and we will be back online by 5pm.

The last few days has been rather tough as I got rid of all my other backup power solutions when I switched to solar and I work mainly from home.

Sorted - replaced and working - just swapped over the old datalogger so it works.