Batteryhookup 6kwh 98v modules, $70/kwh

riazarbi

Hello, 

I am looking at these modules on batteryhookup.com - 

https://batteryhookup.com/products/samsung-24s-lithium-ion-6kwh-module-3x-8s-modules

They are designed for large scale UPS systems, and contain Samsung SDI cells. I intend to use them for an EV conversion, and I intend purchasing 8 of them to get 48kwh. Shipping is the same no matter how many I buy (up to 16 modules) so I am thinking of putting together a group buy to save on shipping. These are new, never cycled batteries.

Here are the salient specs:

Nominal capacity: 6kwh

Chemistry: Lithium-NMC

Arrangement: 3 x 8s 2kwh modules in series

Max current: 200a (3C)

Call capacity: 68ah

Bottom voltage: 74.4v

Top voltage: 98.4v

Cost per module: $420

BMS: There is a BMS, but it is proprietary, so you'd probably need to run your own BMS. There is a YouTube video on the listing to show you how you could do it.

Shipping (total): $2500

Customs charges: UNKNOWN

Please look at the specs on the link above for more info.

For 8 modules, I am looking at $5680 including shipping, which is $732 per 6kwh module.

If we buy 16 modules, it works out at $9220, or $576/module.

If you are interested in participating, please let me know.

1_576c147b-e703-47b3-84a8-4edcf0377336_1024x1024@2x.png-2.webp

29 minutes ago, riazarbi said:

Hello, 

I am looking at these modules on batteryhookup.com - 

https://batteryhookup.com/products/samsung-24s-lithium-ion-6kwh-module-3x-8s-modules

They are designed for large scale UPS systems, and contain Samsung SDI cells. I intend to use them for an EV conversion, and I intend purchasing 8 of them to get 48kwh. Shipping is the same no matter how many I buy (up to 16 modules) so I am thinking of putting together a group buy to save on shipping. These are new, never cycled batteries.

Here are the salient specs:

Nominal capacity: 6kwh

Chemistry: Lithium-NMC

Arrangement: 3 x 8s 2kwh modules in series

Max current: 200a (3C)

Call capacity: 68ah

Bottom voltage: 74.4v

Top voltage: 98.4v

Cost per module: $420

BMS: There is a BMS, but it is proprietary, so you'd probably need to run your own BMS. There is a YouTube video on the listing to show you how you could do it.

Shipping (total): $2500

Customs charges: UNKNOWN

Please look at the specs on the link above for more info.

For 8 modules, I am looking at $5680 including shipping, which is $732 per 6kwh module.

If we buy 16 modules, it works out at $9220, or $576/module.

If you are interested in participating, please let me know.

1_576c147b-e703-47b3-84a8-4edcf0377336_1024x1024@2x.png-2.webp

You did see it is NMC technology? 

Edited by Scorp007

• 2 weeks later...

Not documenting anywhere yet, PsyCLown, as I view it as a jinx to create forum threads about EV conversions - so many forums are littered with good intentions and no results. 

That said, I am keeping notes, and will happily post them once I actually have something to show for my efforts. For what it's worth, I am going the route of using salvaged EV components from the EU and open sourced controller hardware. I have bought all the components except the BMS and cells, which I must still figure out. 

At present my components are sitting in a shippers office in Germany until I get a permit from ITAC (a South African govt agency) to allow me to bring in used goods. Once (if) I get that permit the shippers will ship via sea to Cape Town. 

In terms of difficulty, I'd say that I am finding shipping and customs clearance as difficult as actually doing the conversion. It is really, really hard and expensive to get EV parties into SA. In terms of costs, shipping is probably 40% of the total cost thus far - EV bits in other countries are cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Not documenting anywhere yet, PsyCLown, as I view it as a jinx to create forum threads about EV conversions - so many forums are littered with good intentions and no results. 

That said, I am keeping notes, and will happily post them once I actually have something to show for my efforts. For what it's worth, I am going the route of using salvaged EV components from the EU and open sourced controller hardware. I have bought all the components except the BMS and cells, which I must still figure out. 

At present my components are sitting in a shippers office in Germany until I get a permit from ITAC (a South African govt agency) to allow me to bring in used goods. Once (if) I get that permit the shippers will ship via sea to Cape Town. 

In terms of difficulty, I'd say that I am finding shipping and customs clearance as difficult as actually doing the conversion. It is really, really hard and expensive to get EV parties into SA. In terms of costs, shipping is probably 40% of the total cost thus far - EV bits in other countries are cheap!

Based on the costs you have already and estimated additional costs - how does it compare carry out such a project vs buying an EV?

I see they're still over R700k for a brand new EV in SA and this is obviously very convenient as you pay the money and get a working car with a warranty and there should not be any issues and lots of support and you can insure it without issues. I have not looked at used EV prices, but that is an option as well I guess. Some are older now like the BMW i3 and Mini Cooper S EV and might be bought for a lower price.

Compared to going the DIY route and building something, a lot of different skills are required to make it come together and there is likely a lot of learning to be done and I am sure issues will pop up along the way. No local support either, no warranty and insuring it may be a challenge.

People try to DIY things for a host of reasons - sometimes cost doesn't come into it, you just DIY something to learn and to see how something works for yourself. Or, maybe you want something that you simply can't get otherwise. 

If you are simply comparing the cost, time, and effort involved in getting a modern vehicle on a par with an EV you can buy off the showroom floor, there is no question that you are better off buying one. You might be able to build one cheaper, but you certainly won't have any of the benefit of a large multinational corporation providing warranty support and replacement parts if something breaks. 

So why would a rational person convert an EV?

Some reasons I have encountered on forums:

1. A technical drive to reverse engineer an OEM system and liberate the components ('hacker ethos') - see openinverter.org

2. A desire to modernise an otherwise irreplaceable vehicle (sentimental or otherwise) - see electricclassiccars on YouTube 

3. To develop for a niche application that the market doesn't serve yet  - electric game viewing vehicles come to mind