Starting with solar - DIY

Hi, 

I've been sitting around reading bits and pieces here for a while. But after starting to play with the gear I've accumulated I've got several queries that I'm going to need some info on. 

I'm doing this install myself, and gear I've collected used, cheap, free etc. I have a Goodwe 5048es inverter, a 6.8kwh lithium battery. At this point I've got 8 290watt solar panels. (I've also got a 3600watt version of that inverter, and another 24v easun thing that I was trying first. 

Now the initial question, I've got a reasonable amount of shading on the north roof of my house from large eucalyptus trees. My shed however is in full sun all of the time. (the house shading is most notable in winter (I'm in New Zealand, so the difference between summer and winter is substantial). To me it makes more sense so mount all the solar panels on the shed roof - and run the 40-50m of cable between the house and shed. How much loss would there be from the cables running that distance in terms of percentage using say 6mm cable, or 10mm cable?

Secondly is there any issue using standard TPS style cable for this vs the highly stranded and flexible solar specific DC cable?

Thanks! That'll get me started if anyone has any commentary?

• 2 weeks later...

Secondly is there any issue using standard TPS style cable for this vs the highly stranded and flexible solar specific DC cable?

Incase anyone was interested. 
In NZ at least this is non-compliant. - non-UV rated, cant be confused with AC etc. 

In my case I need to use the proper stuff it seems. 

Thanks! 

Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum.

I came across this calculator that might help you.https://photovoltaic-software.com/solar-tools/voltage-drop-calculator-dc-ac

You are correct ,the shed would be a better option cause shading on solar panels is a big no no.

Thanks - I gave this a go, and worked out what I need, definitely looks like it'll be better with them mounted on the shed. 

Thanks again!