Harmonics Problem

Querobin

I assume you are talking about THD,  Total harmonic distortion? NRS097-2-1 does specify that this has to be less than 5%, but I would have expected that any inverter that was certified as NRS compliant would not have this problem... which leads to the next question: What inverter did you use?

I'm not an expert in this (wish I was), but as I understand it non-linear loads (that is just about every cheap SMPS-based-appliance in the home) will also affect this, and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to measure the inverter with the loads. So is this just the inverter on its own?

On 2019/01/26 at 8:35 AM, Querobin said:

and we are getting higher than 5%.

6 minutes ago, Querobin said:

we are trying to buy our own harmonics tester but we cannot find one even in Hongkong and China.

How do you know you are exceeding 5% without a test device?

Oh I see  the electric provider's one, ask to see current calibration cert, otherwise neither of you has one.

Edited by phil.g00

7 minutes ago, phil.g00 said:

Oh I see  the electric provider's one, ask to see current calibration cert, otherwise neither of you has one.

I'm sorry, what do you mean? current calibration certificate? what's that to do with harmonics? can you please explain further? Thank you..

You said you doubt the accuracy of the electricity provider's harmonic test device. Which is a reasonable statement about any test device if it's out of calibration.

18 minutes ago, Querobin said:

Because somehow we don't trust the tester from the electric provider.

If his calibration is current what basis have you got for the doubt?

Where are you located ?

As the company I work for we have two Elspec G4500 Power Quality analyzers, https://www.elspec-ltd.com/elspec-shop/power-quality-analyzer/portable-power-quality-analyzer/g4500-portable-power-quality-analyzer/ you can rent one from http://www.impactpower.co.za/eform/submit/contact-us but you needs some know how to operate them and interpret the results.

They will also come out and do the analyses and specify  the correct Harmonic filters.

For a residence this might be cost prohibitive   

There's a tester: Amprobe ACD-41PQ,  I have never used one like this, it looks like it could do the job, $500, you could probably do better shopping around.

Look for "power quality analyser" or tester.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by phil.g00