Battery amps 100ah vs 50ah

Boela

Hi there,

Currently have 4 x US2000 Pylontechs and thinking of adding 2 more.

Also considered moving to 3 x 5.12 Shoto's which are 100ah.

Question, the pylons being 50ah and the shoto 100ah, 6 x 50 gives me 300amp and 3 x 100 also 300amps. Does this mean its like for like?

Also thinking, if 1 fails, you only lose 2.4kwh, where on the bigger units you lose 1/3 of your capacity.

They're lots of issues with mixing battery types on BMS-managed 'smart' battery systems: your safest bet is adding more of the same model when paralleling additional units instead.

This is especially true since your current Pylons are likely communicating with each other via their 'Link' Ports; which is unlikely to be work as expected when mixing models/brands that aren't specifically made to communicate with each other.

Likewise paralleling batteries of different capacities is a minefield because they all discharge evenly (more-or-less), so when you hit 50% SOC on your larger-capacity batteries, you'll suddenly have 4 totally flat batteries (because these are are half the capacity) in your bank, which would likely turn themselves off and bring your system to a sudden DC-disconnect power-down (even though there's left-over capacity in the other batteries).

As a final potential issue, the Shotos are 50A recommended-discharge batteries whilst the Pylons are 25A so their maximum recommended current-draws differ.

My vote: get more of the same (especially since you've already tried-and-tested your current array with [presumably] good results!).

5 hours ago, Boela said:

Hi there,

Currently have 4 x US2000 Pylontechs and thinking of adding 2 more.

Also considered moving to 3 x 5.12 Shoto's which are 100ah.

Question, the pylons being 50ah and the shoto 100ah, 6 x 50 gives me 300amp and 3 x 100 also 300amps. Does this mean its like for like?

Also thinking, if 1 fails, you only lose 2.4kwh, where on the bigger units you lose 1/3 of your capacity.

@Boela as mentioned above, paralleling different chemistries is not advised.

I believe the Pylontech batteries are NMC and the Shoto batteries LFP and I believe their voltage range is different so you may experience issues with charging some of the batteries to 100% and may be limited by the low voltage cut off as I believe this differs between the battery chemistry.

You'd also need to look at giving the BMS comms a skip and use voltage settings and manually adjust the charge voltage and discharge voltage cut off limit.

Pylontech are not great when it comes to warranties and mixing batteries I am certain will void your Pylontech warranty.

6x 50Ah batteries = 300Ah (Pylontech)

3x 100Ah batteries = 300Ah (Shoto)

So yes, the capacity is more or less the same.

However the nominal voltage does differ with the Pylontech being 48v and Shoto being 51.2v

300Ah x 48v = 14.4kWh (Pylontech)

300Ah x 51.2v = 15.36kWh (Shoto)

I'd suggest going with a single chemistry for your battery bank - whether you want to simply add an additional 2x US2000 or sell all the Pylontech batteries and go for 3x Shoto is up to you.

I know Shoto has had some issues in the past and I recall reading that their cells are not of the highest quality. The Shoto batteries would not be my first choice.

One of the best features of Pylontech is that all their batteries are cross compatible with each other and this makes adding more batteries to your stack extremely easy. You can mix and match different capacities or stick to the same capacity your choice.

47 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I believe the Pylontech batteries are NMC and the Shoto batteries LFP and I believe their voltage range is different so you may experience issues with charging some of the batteries to 100% and may be limited by the low voltage cut off as I believe this differs between the battery chemistry.

Pylons are also LFP, the difference is that the pylons are 15 cells and the Shoto is 16 cells which makes paralleling them impossible , if they had the same cell count you could parallel them and control the system via voltage instead of BMS comms as you mentioned.

17 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

One of the best features of Pylontech is that all their batteries are cross compatible with each other and this makes adding more batteries to your stack extremely easy. You can mix and match different capacities or stick to the same capacity your choice.

Pylons are also LFP, the difference is that the pylons are 15 cells and the Shoto is 16 cells which makes paralleling them impossible , if they had the same cell count you could parallel them and control the system via voltage instead of BMS comms as you mentioned.

This really is a neat (and not-so-common) feature - sticking to Pylontech makes even more sense than it did already if OP is looking at higher-capacity batteries since he's no longer limited to purchasing the same capacity of Pylons.

From the UP5000 manual:

UP5000-V1.0-Product-Manual_Extract.png.0e3919c29e80336e6a67268332450eb8.png