Axpert & Pylontec Max Charge Setting

Rusti

Question

Hi All, 

I have a 5kva Axpert and a Pylontec 3000 & 1kw panles.

It is very overcast so my panels are not charging the battery well.

It charges quickly on a sunny day via the panels and also quickly after dark by Utility (max charge Prog 11 was set at 30A see below), but when there is limited solar and utility charging is very slow. 

I wanted to know if the Maximum Charging Current (Programme 02) could be affecting this as I see it is Solar + Utility. This is currently set at 30A.

I believe that 37A is max charge current for Pylontec and Max Charge (prog 02) is set at 30, so could it be that if my panels are producing little current (1A or more) and Max Utility Charging is set at 30A (Programme 11) then solar + Utility may be above 30A so it is only using the little Solar available and not solar+utility as this would be over the Max Charge current? could this be possible?

I have just changed Programme 16 from SLb/UCb to SbL/UCB as well as reduced Programme 11 Max utility to 20A (down from 30A) and it seems to be charging quicker, but i am sot sure which change may have improved this (Prog 16 or 11)? 

Any insights on these settings would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Russell

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Rusti said:

I believe that 37A is max charge current for Pylontec and Max Charge (prog 02) is set at 30, so could it be that if my panels are producing little current (1A or more) and Max Utility Charging is set at 30A (Programme 11) then solar + Utility may be above 30A so it is only using the little Solar available and not solar+utility as this would be over the Max Charge current? could this be possible?

No.

It's fine to have both limits at 30 A. If you have say 5 A of solar charging, and utility charging is enabled and possible, then you should get 25 A of utility charging (unless the battery is getting full, of course).

Remember that most models can't utility charge when in battery mode; usually you would be in battery mode during the day.

Thanks for the reply Coulomb, 

I don't understand what you mean by battery mode? My battery is purely set up as a backup system for when the grid is off. Solar is used during the day when generating. 

Due to the number of outages in our area i would like my battery to be charged as priority, i noticed yesterday that when it was overcast it was taking a very long time to re-charge. Is there anyway around this so that utility will kick in and recharge as priority even during the day?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Rusti said:

I don't understand what you mean by battery mode?

When the battery (possibly aided by solar) is powering the load:

979258910_Batterymode.png.6041f8328460967bea8332379146e108.png

1 hour ago, Rusti said:

Solar is used during the day when generating.

I guess that's what I should have asked. It sounds like you are using SOL Output Priority (Setting 01 = SOL). If that is that case, then you are usually operating in battery mode during the day. The exception is if the battery voltage falls below the value in setting 12, the Back To Utility battery voltage.

With most models (you didn't say your exact model; there are many "5 kVA Axperts"), that means you can't be utility charging during the day unless your battery is weak.

Hi Coulomb, 

Sorry another question regarding the Pylontech US3000, I see the installer set the Max Charge at 10A (Setting 2), i only noticed this today, what is the safe maximum charging current for these batteries, I i remember correctly someone on the forum advised me it was 30A previously, so it is safe for the battery life to increase this to 30A?

Thanks

On 2020/04/27 at 10:40 PM, Rusti said:

I see the installer set the Max Charge at 10A (Setting 2), i only noticed this today, what is the safe maximum charging current for these batteries, I i remember correctly someone on the forum advised me it was 30A previously, so it is safe for the battery life to increase this to 30A?

It's 37 A, so 30 A is safe. 40 A would not be too risky, especially if your PV panel nominal power is less than about 2300 W (where most of the time, you'd only get a maximum of about 80% x 2300 = 1840 W, which is about 37 A at 50 V.

It certainly seems odd to leave it at 10 A; I guess it was an oversight. Or more likely s/he thought that the 10 A is on the PV side (it's on the battery side). That's a common mistake; Axpert manuals should highlight this non-standard measurement.

Hi I am opening this post up again as i noticed that after changing Setting 2 to 30A, the inverter at some stage changed itself back to 10A. On another (newer) Apert i cannot change the default value of setting 2 from 10A, it wont let me do anything. This inverter also gives a continual 69 error, which i cannot track down what the error is or how to fix it. 

Any insights would be appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Rusti said:

the inverter at some stage changed itself back to 10A.

Ah. Then I guess you're talking directly to the battery BMS with setting 05 at PyL.

On another (newer) Axpert i cannot change the default value of setting 2 from 10A, it wont let me do anything. This inverter also gives a continual 69 error, which i cannot track down what the error is or how to fix it. 

This is a warning, not an error. It says that the BMS is telling the inverter not to charge, the battery is full (or some other reason). 10 A is the lowest value that the inverter can set for maximum charge current. It would use zero if it could. But if you know that the battery isn't near full, then this could indicate a problem.

With this setup, the BMS is determining the maximum charge current, and that's a good thing. If you feel you know what your're doing and want to change settings, you can temporarily change setting 05 (battery type) to USE (user values), and you will have control of the battery charging settings again (26, 27, 29, 02, perhaps 11, 12, 13; 11-13 might not be controlled by the BMS).

If your battery is new, it might be taking a while to balance all the cell voltages, which means that the charge current might be low for a while until the cell voltages settle down.

Thanks Coulomb, does this mean that the setting 2 changes based on state of charge of the battery, so it it is low and requires charging the BMS will automatically increase setting 2 to a higher charge rate? and then scale back down to 10A when it does not need charging?

With the newer Axpert the system is working fine, i can just hear the inverter/battering clicking over all the time so was wondering if it was causing a problem. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

On 2020/06/23 at 11:03 PM, Rusti said:

Thanks Coulomb, does this mean that the setting 2 changes based on state of charge of the battery, so it it is low and requires charging the BMS will automatically increase setting 2 to a higher charge rate? and then scale back down to 10A when it does not need charging?

Yes, but only if you have a model with an RS-485 port, and a suitable cable connecting to the Pylontech, and setting 05 (battery type) is set to PyL.

On 2020/06/23 at 11:03 PM, Rusti said:

i can just hear the inverter/battering clicking over all the time so was wondering if it was causing a problem. 

One US3000 is too small for a 5 kW inverter. So the battery voltage is sagging all the time, causing the inverter to switch to line (bypass) mode frequently. It will stay there for 10 minutes minimum, then change back to battery mode if the load is under about 3400 W. 1 kW of panels is also very light.

Consider getting an extra 1 or 2 US3000 modules, or until then consider moving loads with a high inrush current (e.g. bore pump) to the grid, rather than the inverter output.

Or consider changing output priority mode (setting 01) to utility (it has different names on different models). If you have a suitable model, it will blend PV and grid power, so you may as well stay in line mode and save the relay wear and tear.

BTW, I roll my eyes every time someone posts that they have a "5 kW Axpert" or even worse a "5 kVA Axpert"... there are many models, with different capabilities.

Thanks Coulomb, i am trying to get to know these setups as the installer has done his work and moved on. I have two identical setups installed about 6 months apart (2 houses) and it seems the inverters are different models. I know i should have at least 2 US3000 for the 5kva but its pricey at the moment, will be the next upgrade. The systems are there to cover me during load shedding for short periods, works well so far during the day when the panels are working, and runs for 5 hrs or so at night which sees us through most times. 

I have the ICC and Pi's i just need to install them so i can track usage and generation, been putting it off as it seems tricky. Next project. 

Thanks for all the assistance.