Battery - Alpha SMILE-BAT-10.1P <R50K

WeNotGood

Does anyone perhaps have any experience with the Alpha SMILE Batteries?

Read on another post that Alpha is a rebranded Goodwe, The battery, non supringsingly, if true,  is also compatible with the Goodwe 5048D-ES amongst other Goodwe models:

https://www.goodwe.com/Public/Uploads/sersups/Approved Battery Options Statement_2019.pdf

At < R50K for 10kWh this does look like a good fit for the Goodwe inverters:

https://www.pikaled.co.za/product/parallel-connection-expansion-battery-10-1kwh-for-smile5/

Edited by WeNotGood

• WeNotGood changed the title to Battery - Alpha SMILE-BAT-10.1P <R50K

I don't have experience with either, but It looks like it could work. Two things to be cautious of:

1. The battery's warranty: as per datasheet it is a 5 year product warranty and a 10 year performance warranty. I am not sure exactly what this means, does this include the 8000 cycles quoted, and at what capacity level? Further research required.

2. It's a large "chunk" to buy in one go, and further expansion would probably mean another one of the same size (and cost). By contrast, the other options listed in the possibly outdated Goodwe datasheet (such as Pylontech) are smaller and thus easier on the pocket when expanding.

The Goodwe GW5048D-ES specs look quite strong and can handle a significant amount of PV (550V). Is it possible to put multiple units in parallel like the Sunsynk 5.5K?

Thanks for the points mentioned:

1. The battery's warranty: as per data sheet it is a 5 year product warranty and a 10 year performance warranty. I am not sure exactly what this means, does this include the 8000 cycles quoted, and at what capacity level? Further research required.

Yes the warranty terms is expressed somewhat oddly and it would be worthwhile to clarify before jumping in and buying one.

2. It's a large "chunk" to buy in one go, and further expansion would probably mean another one of the same size (and cost). By contrast, the other options listed in the possibly outdated Goodwe datasheet (such as Pylontech) are smaller and thus easier on the pocket when expanding.

The price per kWh (~ R5000) is pretty good and kicking of with 10kWh capacity (at a similar price to what my 5 kWh modules cost just over 18 months ago) should be sufficient for most, sure the price will come down even more the next 12 -18 months should someone wish to expand.

In terms of Size, the narrower depth may even be an advantage for some installations

The Goodwe GW5048D-ES specs look quite strong and can handle a significant amount of PV (550V). Is it possible to put multiple units in parallel like the Sunsynk 5.5K?

Unfortunately the Goodwe does not Parallel, not to big an issue for myself and probably the majority of people who have one. The 4.6 kW Back Up output is a decent amount and with a bit of planning using appliances during load shedding it can easily support either using the Washing machine or Dishwasher or  Microwave / Kettle  during load-shedding (although not all a the same time 🙂 and the mix will need to be chosen carefully).

Another advantage of the 5048D-ES is the ability to charge at a decent 100A, while not the only 5kW Inverter able to do this, it is one of the few I have noticed withthe ability.