Timer for residential complex gate motor

Solo

Question

Question for the techies out there:)

I am a trustee for a body corporate, mix of commercial and residential units. Access control is the normal sliding gate.

The current Centurion gate motor does the job just fine, but we would like to tweak the operation slightly

The Centurion gate controller has a built in timer, and we use this to open the gate at 6am and close it at 7pm (Mon to Sun)

The gate has to stay open 6am-7pm for the commercial units (medical centre), but after 2pm Sat and all of Sun, we would prefer the gate to close.

The current setup does not allow for different times at weekend.

Previously we had a separate Majortech style timer,  mains powered with battery backup, but it was unreliable, compared to the current 12V Centurion timer.

I would like something more like a Geyserwise controller, or inexpensive PLC.

Very reliable.

Preferably 12v powered

Relatively easy to program.

What do the experts recommend?

I have never used an Arduino or Pi, but if they are the answer am prepared to give them a go.

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Vassen said:

The centurion motor should have an external trigger that you can use to open / close the gate. 

you could use a sonoff, flashed with tasmota to basically control this and to also add some sort of sensor to know whether it’s open or closed. They are common for garage doors but it could be used for a gate as well with some minor changes. 

Agreed, I would use a Sonoff SV as they can operate on 5-24V.  This way it has backup power supplied by the gate battery.

It also has a couple of GPIO pins which can intergrate rather nicely with the new centurion D5 Evo controllers

23 hours ago, Solo said:

The Centurion gate controller has a built in timer, and we use this to open the gate at 6am and close it at 7pm (Mon to Sun)

The gate has to stay open 6am-7pm for the commercial units (medical centre), but after 2pm Sat and all of Sun, we would prefer the gate to close.

I presume that people with remotes can still open the gate? So all you'd have to do is find a way of sending a close pulse at 2pm each Saturday.

Just now, Bobster said:

I presume that people with remotes can still open the gate? So all you'd have to do is find a way of sending a close pulse at 2pm each Saturday.

No. That's stupid. The timer must override the usual open and close mechanisms otherwise somebody would close it during the week in a moment of forgetfulness.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I presume Sonoff would need an App or Wifi connection?  

After some research I am looking at one of the following

1. Sinotimer  (12V option available)

TM618 Universal Input 5V 12V 24V DC/AC 7 Days Programmable Weekly Timer Module for Gate Automation and Solar Controls

Usage: The TM618 timer MODULE can open or close kinds of electrical apparatus and power automatically, according to the preset time, the items can be streetlight, neon light (sign), billboard, electrical appliances, broadcast equipment etc...

2.  Omron H5F   (220V only, no battery backup)

• Up to 12 ON/OFF operations (24 for pulse-output operation). 

• Special holidays can be handled easily with the holiday setting function. 

• Adjustments for sudden schedule changes can be made easily using output override and automatic return operation. 

• The operation program can be checked easily with the program check function. 

• Enables pulse output operation and summer time setting. 

• Incorporates finger-safe terminals. 

• Conforms to UL, CSA, and CE marking. 

• Meets a variety of mounting requirements: flush mounting, surface mounting, and DIN track mounting.