Mecer charge controllers display flicking on and off

OzzyMozzy

Question

Hi there, I have an off grid system using 2 Mecer charge controllers and 4 Pylontech batteries and for the past couple of years things have been fine, until I boarded a plane yesterday and flew to Moz fow work.

i get a call from my wife this morning to tell me theres no power and the display screens are flickering on and off. I had her switch off the controllers, remove the battery fuses, remove the fuses for the solar panels to try and reset them but no luck. We are out in the east of Pretoria and completely off grid on a small holding so am desperates to get this resloved ASAP.

any thoughts on the problem greatly appreciated

2 answers to this question

6 hours ago, OzzyMozzy said:

any thoughts on the problem greatly appreciated

It looks to me like a hardware fault in one of the machines, e.g. a power supply collapsing, causing the DSP to reset after a few seconds.

Is it possible to isolate the inverter units from each other? It might be possible to run on one inverter (being careful with power) till you can get the matter fixed. Usually there will be two breakers connected to the two AC-outs. If so you could try to explain to your wife how to try disconnecting one, then if that doesn't work, disconnect the other.

6 hours ago, Coulomb said:

It looks to me like a hardware fault in one of the machines, e.g. a power supply collapsing, causing the DSP to reset after a few seconds.

Is it possible to isolate the inverter units from each other? It might be possible to run on one inverter (being careful with power) till you can get the matter fixed. Usually there will be two breakers connected to the two AC-outs. If so you could try to explain to your wife how to try disconnecting one, then if that doesn't work, disconnect the other.

I managed to get a local solar installer over and he did pretty much what you recommended, isolated the trouble maker and they are now running on one invertor/controller.

Does anyone repair these btw? Quite a pricy piece of kit to replace.

Thanks so much for the response coulomb!