Axpert VM3 5kva inverter connecting to WiFi/ethernet

Hello there

I have an Axpert VM3 5KVA inverter installed, with 4kw PV panels and 7kwh Pylontech lithium batteries.

I'm keen to get some monitoring software running via a Raspberry Pi. I believe there are a few options for the monitoring software, with varying pricing and features.

My main question though is how do I even get the inverter connected to my home WiFi/ethernet network? I don't think these inverters can be directly connected with RJ45 ethernet from inverter directly to my switch or Raspberry Pi. 

What addon module should I get for this inverter then?

Thank you for any guidance.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Shadders said:

ICC and solar assistant

As does SolPipLog too if I remember correctly. All three options also include direct communication with pylontech batteries through the RJ11 RS232 port on them. I must admit to not getting SolPipLog to work easily but I had already bought ICC by the time I found it so didn't try very hard to get it going.

21 minutes ago, Shadders said:

ICC and solar assistant both use the micro USB port on the VMIII to communicate with the inverter so you can use a regular phone cable as long as it includes the data connections, some of the cheap cables sold at the traffic lights for example don't. The pi then connects to your wifi.

Thank you so much for this!

Yes, there is a micro usb port on the inverter....which will work perfectly with my Raspberry PI 3.

Do I need to have some direct connection from the Pylontech batteries to my Raspberry Pi too? 

1 hour ago, vylint said:

Do I need to have some direct connection from the Pylontech batteries to my Raspberry Pi too?

Yes you will. Both ICC and Solar Assistant sell the cables to communicate with the Pylontech. These are an RS232-USB converter with an RJ11 fitting on the end (for US3000A or B models) or RJ45 for the US3000C. You will need to either buy the correct cable for your batteries or make one using information found here:

This seems the easiest to follow to me but there are multiple posts about the connection so search if you need more information.

Edited by Shadders

• 11 months later...