SMEG oven tripping earth leakage

Nickwes

Please can someone give me some advice. Our SMEG oven has been tripping the earth leakage on our db. We got the technician out who used a megger but couldn't really definitively say it was one specific element. So we ended up forking out R3k to replace all three elements. Low and behold the oven is now still tripping the earth leakage. Technician is at a loss. Smeg agents are completely useless and unhelpful telling me that I must buy a new oven for R25k. Does anyone have any ideas besides dumping the oven off the roof? We are in the Ballito area and skilled techs seem hard to find here.

I know that some ovens specifically state that it must not be connected to the earth leakage. Is that not the case with your one as well?

You could also have a fault earth leakage, mine used to only trip when the geyser was running, replaced the element and the temp sensor and was still tripping.

Edited by De0n19

On 2021/07/03 at 11:40 AM, Nickwes said:

Low and behold the oven is now still tripping the earth leakage.

My oven used to trip the earth leakage due to high humidity, the moisture builds up in the elements especially when it was not used for a few months. What I done is take it of earth leakage and let it heat up on full power than when done put it back on earth leakage and it would work perfectly again. I would not recommend taking it off earth leakage if you are not a electrician as that can be very dangerous but a electrician could do it safely as part of troubleshooting.

I eventually changed the element and the problem was solved, I now have a similar problem with my dishwasher element because it gets used very seldom and stands unused for up to a year at a time.