Power Mesurement

Richard Viljoen

Anybody have any experience with 3 phase meters and the SSEG tarrif?

I am looking at a 3-phase installation and want to understand how the 3 phase power meter works. If I am generating 3 kW, it would be distributed across the three phases. If there is a 2 kW load on one of the phases, that phase will be pulling in 1kW while the other two phases are registering and export of 2kW.

The question is : How will this be read by the city of cape town? Will they record this as 1kW export or as 1kW import (at import tarrif) and 2kW export (at export tariff)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 5:29 PM, Richard Viljoen said:

Anybody have any experience with 3 phase meters and the SSEG tarrif?

I am looking at a 3-phase installation and want to understand how the 3 phase power meter works. If I am generating 3 kW, it would be distributed across the three phases. If there is a 2 kW load on one of the phases, that phase will be pulling in 1kW while the other two phases are registering and export of 2kW.

The question is : How will this be read by the city of cape town? Will they record this as 1kW export or as 1kW import (at import tarrif) and 2kW export (at export tariff)?

First of all, will you be generating 3-phase? In any event, the metering is done via a 3-phase energy meter, all three phases. If you are generating 3 kW and you have a load of 2 kW on one phase, you are still generating 3 kW and using 2 kW which means you only export 1 kW (distributed over three phases).

• 2 weeks later...

Richard , I assume you have the Landis and Gyr meter being on SSEG.  Its a very interesting question which I have also pondered about. Cant seem to find anything on the Landis and Gyr website. I have a friend recently on SSEG and are awaiting the first meter readings. Do you have any idea how long it takes for the meter to be connected to the city portal and available for the consumer to read