5 Small factories that need some bacup solution.

Basil Katakuzinos

Friend is the owner of a set of 5 small factories in germiston area. His tennats are constantly loosing out on productivity due to load shedding. None of them have any major power requirements (No large boilers etc) nothing bigger than some large power tools, lathes, compressorse etc... 

Batteries are extremely expensive and somewhat out of budget (At least for the size required by 5 factories)

I was hoping someone has experience with a solar + Generator hybrid system, I am hoping for something that requires little or no batteries at all.

Idea is that when power goes out, one of the tennats can go outside and start the genney and then have a solar system suppliment the generator supply (During sunny days we use less diesel but during bad weather we have the genney to take over more of the loads).

Are their any installers that anyone knows who i could talk to about an industiral installation like this? 

Is this even doable? would something like SMA Fuel save do the trick?

1 minute ago, 87 Dream said:

Something like this is very do able. However, you cannot get away without a sizeable battery storage solution in the Hybrids especially when stacking them. This is due to a lot of reasons namely when a cloud passes over & you have a high load. 

So the best idea is to size a system that has a power factor of 1. What does this mean so you add a pure hybrid of 20kW inverters stacked & then you will need the same size of battery bank of 20kWh. The hybrid will blend power & use solar to the maximum & if you really over spec on the PV solar side even on a low light PV day you get still very good Solar input. So you get 24kW of solar panels. So when it load sheds your main power source is solar & the backup to fill in the gaps is the battery & as a last resort a Generator on a very overcast day. This is the best budget solution... 

You also during night hours run exclusively on battery power off grid to maximize your payback or return on investment. This is provided that the next day is sunny. Many little tricks & smart breakers also that integrate that can be dynamically controlled in the event of Loadshedding. The other thing you mentioned was some high power tools like lathes. I bet the premises is running on 3 phase electricity and for a commercial building this is usually the standard.

Thanks verry much, are you an installer or do you know of an installer that you would recomend to embark on a large project like this?

2 hours ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Friend is the owner of a set of 5 small factories in germiston area. His tennats are constantly loosing out on productivity due to load shedding. None of them have any major power requirements (No large boilers etc) nothing bigger than some large power tools, lathes, compressorse etc... 

First identify the problem. There hasn't been any load shedding for some time now (which surprises me, given the problems Eskom have been having, but there it is). Unless your friend's factories are in one of those areas where Eskom are practicing "load reduction".

4 hours ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Batteries are extremely expensive and somewhat out of budget (At least for the size required by 5 factories)

I was hoping someone has experience with a solar + Generator hybrid system, I am hoping for something that requires little or no batteries at all.

Idea is that when power goes out, one of the tennats can go outside and start the genney and then have a solar system suppliment the generator supply (During sunny days we use less diesel but during bad weather we have the genney to take over more of the loads).

Are their any installers that anyone knows who i could talk to about an industiral installation like this? 

Is this even doable? would something like SMA Fuel save do the trick?

Try Aggreko Power rental solutions: 

Aggreko Energy Rental Sa (Pty) Ltd
ADDRESS
2 Axle Dr, Clayville X 11, Midrand, South Africa
PHONE NUMBER
011 3166371

4 hours ago, Bobster said:

First identify the problem. There hasn't been any load shedding for some time now (which surprises me, given the problems Eskom have been having, but there it is). Unless your friend's factories are in one of those areas where Eskom are practicing "load reduction".

Wadeville and parts of germiston spend days without power at a time. Not eskom just Ekurhuleni waiting for things to break before they maintain anything. 

16 hours ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

Wadeville and parts of germiston spend days without power at a time. Not eskom just Ekurhuleni waiting for things to break before they maintain anything. 

Thanks for the clarification. That's a disgraceful state of affairs.