Enerflow Heat Pump

NickNou

Hi Guys,

Quick question here on Enerflow heat pumps. I thought I'd check this side before contacting the manufacturer.

I managed to pick up a unit some time ago for a bargain price. Its since been installed and works really great. I have the unit (3.0kW nominal heat output) coupled to a total of 2x150L of hot water storage. The system manages to provide water for our 2 1/2-person household with ease.

I only run the heat pump during the day (between 10:00 and 17:00) with the intention of offsetting the energy consumption of the pump with PV. This works very well. Most days power consumption is very low, between 1.5 and 2.2 kwh. The water storage means we still have ample hot water the following morning.

The control unit of the HP has an internal timer, which can be set to regular on-off times. Problem is that the unit looses all time data after a power outage or cycle. Does anybody know if there is an internal battery that needs to be replaced after a certain period?

The Pump was in its packaging (new, shelved) and unconnected for around 4 years. On board battery might have discharged during this time. The unit is a type ERHP-SU08-SS and is a FRANKE branded Enerflow unit.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Morning,

I haven't contacted the guys at MTech yet. 

I'll open up the control unit this evening if I have a gap, and see if I can find something that resembles a battery. I'm unsure if the backup would be in the controller, or on the PCB on the HP itself.

Will revert accordingly.

52 minutes ago, NickNou said:

I'll open up the control unit this evening if I have a gap, and see if I can find something that resembles a battery. I'm unsure if the backup would be in the controller, or on the PCB on the HP itself.

Will revert accordingly.

If you are unsure, post pictures.

Opened up the interface unit this evening quickly.

As expected, there is a 3.6V lithium ion button cell on the PCB. A bit of a bugger to replace, as the cell has tags spot welded to each side, which are intern soldered to points on the PCB.

I'll source a replacement cell with tags in the next few weeks, and replace it.

The button cell is permanently connected. So I assume it runs flat/ dead if the control module is not given power for a prolonged period of time.

596add9320288d68fd92faefff6fa167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NickNou said:

Opened up the interface unit this evening quickly.

As expected, there is a 3.6V lithium ion button cell on the PCB. A bit of a bugger to replace, as the cell has tags spot welded to each side, which are intern soldered to points on the PCB.

I'll source a replacement cell with tags in the next few weeks, and replace it.

The button cell is permanently connected. So I assume it runs flat/ dead if the control module is not given power for a prolonged period of time.

596add9320288d68fd92faefff6fa167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would replace that battery with a coin cell battery holder then it's easier to replace the battery in future. They probably last 3-5 years. 

I would replace that battery with a coin cell battery holder then it's easier to replace the battery in future. They probably last 3-5 years. 

Thats a great suggestion - thanks!

I'll see if I can salvage and solder in a coin-cell holder this weekend.

If you need to find a replacement... here is an idea. Go to your local Verimark/Game/Builders/Whatever and find those shaky flashlight things. Two for R99. They are complete rubbish (you will never recharge it by shaking, it relies on the battery lasting at least 30 days with the single LED, so by the time it stops working it's not returnable). BUT.... it has rechargable cells inside, and it is cheaper than ordering from RS or somewhere else...