Biodiesel revisited

DeepBass9

I,m still looking for a biodiesel supplier somewhere in GP or NW. I'm not interested in producing, but I would like to find a place where I can drive in with a few 200 l  drums and buy enough biodiesel to run tractor, generator, cruiser etc on for a few months. Can anyone help?

Take a trip to Cpt, Wife too, in a truck and get a few 1000l.

The say they guys here produce for Pnp and Woollies.

BUT, the price per liter, man, the use oil guys have caught on to push the price up.

• 1 year later...

There is a page I found on the Internet that was selling clean used cooking oil for about R3 a litre which sounds like a cheaper option. If you have an old diesel with mechanical injectors etc you'll be ok . Bit the newer engines aren't too happy with crude bio diesel. I've heard even SANS spec do diesel causing problems.  If I remember they recommend a max of a 10% bio diesel additive for newer engines.

Then again wasn't the original engine designed to run on just about anything from peanut oil to paraffin

5 hours ago, seant said:

Then again wasn't the original engine designed to run on just about anything from peanut oil to paraffin

Correct, was not originally to run on any crude product.

5 hours ago, seant said:

If I remember they recommend a max of a 10% bio diesel additive for newer engines.

Gov should push through and make a requirement that diesel 1%-5% bio diesel, as they said they would, but it is not happening as there are no large consistent suppliers in SA yet, is what I guess.

Manufacturers do not seem to say yes/no, as they are worried the someone makes the diesel in their back yard, causing issues to their engines under warranty, and they have to pay for the repairs.

We need bio-diesel plants all over that ensures the proper "grade" is sold all over. Like expanding SASOL into say SASOL BIO.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018/07/23 at 7:54 AM, seant said:

There is a page I found on the Internet that was selling clean used cooking oil for about R3 a litre which sounds like a cheaper option. If you have an old diesel with mechanical injectors etc you'll be ok . Bit the newer engines aren't too happy with crude bio diesel. I've heard even SANS spec do diesel causing problems.  If I remember they recommend a max of a 10% bio diesel additive for newer engines.

The guys selling used cooking oil in that R3 range are scammers.  I was looking around for WVO as I just wanted to make some Biodiesel . I dont want to run around to restaurants myself. So started contacting these guys.  They were very fast to reply via email or whatsapp and happy to supply albeit  with a minimum order size.  The thing for me was I wanted to go to them and titrate any oil they were going to supply before I took delivery.

Local Durban guy advertising bulk oil on Tradekey and Gumtree  Contacted him. Yes sir, we export worldwide from Durban port, can supply. Here is your invoice for 50% deposit.    ok luckily I am from Durban, will pop around this afternoon to tItrate and pay you cash and take delivery right then.  umm.. no sir.. its just an office in Durban.. Our Warehouse is in JHB....can you pay the deposit today still to secure the oil...   ok... no problem I will fly up tomorrow to JHB.  give me the address.  umm no sir .. did I say JHB ...I meant Northern Cape..  Our Warehouse is in the middle of the Northern Cape.. Can you pay the deposit to secure the oil..  and so it went on. The ads were different but the results the same.

As I have discovered,  the local Durban guys are collecting and  exporting used oil at around R6 per litre or so. R/$ rate depending. They  pay an average  R3 for the oil  depending on volume , oil type, and owner savvy to the restaurants.    So I guess you can get oil at R3 litre maybe if you have time to spare and drive around from place to place collecting it 25 litres at  time. Or talk nicely to  the exporter, pay his price and he will sell you some if he has spare.

One Oil exporter who I chatted to told me the story of being approached by a foreign businessman in a near state of breakdown  who had paid these scammer guys  $100 000 (thats dollars)  for a shipment of wvo to be sent to his country supposedly from Durban port and they promptly vanished once they had his cash.  The guy flew to SA and was going around trying to trace his money.

1 hour ago, ShaughnK said:

Here is your invoice for 50% deposit.

Wanted flowbins, from PE, EXACT same scenario. Luckily I had a connection in PE, who went to the address. No one there.

But pay the 50% deposit so long ...