Pylontech comms with inverter

Wiggly Electron

Hi

I've set up the settings for a voltage based installation without comms cable for 2x Mecer Axpert mkII in parallel and 3x Pylontech US3000, the electrician didn't set the right settings, voltages/current was too high and batteries started to smell strange, still working now a few years later fortunately.

The settings are 5=USE then 1,2,11,12,13,16,26,27,29 needs to be set, refer to the battery and inverter manuals.

It might be necessary to add the cable voltage drop to the charging voltage, it might be a few hundred mV.

RS485-protocol-pylon-low-voltage-V3.3-20180821.pdfPYLON LFP Battery communication protocol - RS232 V2.8 20161216.pdfCAN-Bus-protocol-PYLON-low-voltage-V1.2-20180408.pdf

Regards

Rikus

Thanks for the pdf docs Rikus! 

It definitely makes it more clear what the comms cable is doing. I have received a comms cable with my inverter so it was as easy as plugging the one end in the CAN of the pylontech and the other end in the battery comm port of the inverter. If you would like to make your own cable you could reference the pylontech battery for a pinout.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022/09/29 at 7:35 PM, RikusW said:

PS, I'd also like to know how to connect the comms cable and if any settings needs to be done for the protocol like for example Growatt.

The new growatts have a BMS port, it's essentially RS485, cable goes to RS485 on battery and BMS on inverter. I usually select li under setting 005 which then jumps to setting 36 and then I set L04 under 36. Once established the Li symbol becomes permanent on the growatt. If BMS doesn't work with will throw error 04 and 20. You have to have the right pin out for the comms cable as well. This applies to ES and HVM growatt inverters no need to touch the dip switches on the Pylon.

After BMS is up there nothing further to configure the inverter and BMS handles the rest with regards to voltages and charge parameters. 

The older gen growatt ES inverters have a CAN port. 

Edited by Treschen